1300s in England
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
(Redirected from 1307 in England)
|1300's in England:|
|1280s | 1290s | 1300s | 1310s | 1320s|
Events from the 1300s in England.
- 10 March - Wardrobe accounts of King Edward I of England ("Edward Longshanks") include a reference to a game called creag being played at the town of Newenden in Kent. It is generally agreed that creag is an early form of cricket.
- 28 March - Edward I agrees to the issuing of "Articles of the Charters", establishing punishments for infringing the Magna Carta.
- April - Sterling confirmed as the only official coin of the realm; Royal mint moved to the Tower of London.
- 10 October - First War of Scottish Independence: At the urging of the Pope, Edward I makes a temporary truce with Scotland.
- Around this date, the Hereford Mappa Mundi is prepared in Hereford Cathedral.
- 1 February - Edward I issues the Carta Mercatoria, allowing foreign merchants free entry and departure with their goods.
- 24 February - First War of Scottish Independence: Scottish victory at the Battle of Roslin.
- 20 May - Treaty of Paris restores Gascony to England from France.
- Winter - Wars of Scottish Independence: Edward I resumes his campaign against William Wallace and others in Scotland, holding court in Dunfermline Abbey.
- Approximate date - The Avoirdupois system of weights and measures comes into use.
- February - John "Red" Comyn, Lord of Badenoch, negotiates a peace with England in the Wars of Scottish Independence at Strathord near Perth.
- March - Scottish Parliament submits to English rule.
- 20 July - Fall of Stirling Castle: Edward I takes the last rebel stronghold in the Wars of Scottish Independence.
- 1 February - Pope Clement V confirms Ralph Baldock as Bishop of London.
- May - Hugh the younger Despenser, favourite of Edward, Prince of Wales, is married to heiress Eleanor de Clare.
- May - Great festival at Westminster to celebrate the knighthood of Edward of Caernarvon.
- 19 June - Forces of Earl of Pembroke defeat Bruce's Scottish rebels at the Battle of Methven.
- In London, a city ordinance decrees that heating with coal is forbidden when parliament is in session. The ordinance is not particularly effective.
- Completion of Wells Cathedral chapter house, in Decorated Gothic style.
- January - Statute of Carlisle forbids religious foundations from sending money to their mother houses abroad.
- 10 May - Battle of Loudon Hill: Scottish forces under Robert the Bruce defeat an English army.
- 7 July - Edward I dies at Burgh by Sands in the far northwest of England while campaigning against the Scots. By 11 July word reaches Edward II in London that he has succeeded his father as King of England.
- 6 August - Edward II's alleged lover Piers Gaveston is made Earl of Cornwall.
- John Arderne, surgeon (died 1392)
- 9 March - Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel (born 1267)
- 27 September - John de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey, English soldier
- Roger Bigod, 5th Earl of Norfolk (born 1270)
- Palmer, Alan; Veronica (1992). The Chronology of British History. London: Century Ltd. pp. 93–96. ISBN 0-7126-5616-2.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Mappa Mundi, Hereford Cathedral website". Archived from the original on 2007-07-03. Retrieved 2007-08-05.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Penguin Pocket On This Day. Penguin Reference Library. 2006. ISBN 0-14-102715-0.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Everett, Jason M., ed. (2006). "1303". The People's Chronology. Thomson Gale.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 152–154. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Bartlett, Robert. The Hanged Man: A Story of Miracle, Memory, and Colonialism in the Middle Ages. p. 17.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Lua error in Module:Citation/CS1/Identifiers at line 47: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).