1865 in South Africa
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|1865 in South Africa|
|1862 1863 1864 « 1865 » 1866 1867 1868|
- Ostriches are domesticated.
- Economic depression hits South Africa.
- War breaks out for the second time between the Orange Free State and Basothos.
- The Cape Town-Wellington railway is officially inaugurated.
- 13 August – Willem Cornelis Janse van Rensburg, the second president of the South African Republic, dies on his farm near Rustenburg at the age of 47.
- The Natal Railway Company obtains a 0-4-0 saddle-tank locomotive from Kitson and Company. This, the Natal Railway’s second locomotive, is named Durban.:20