ASA style is a widely accepted format for writing university research papers in the field of sociology. It specifies the arrangement and punctuation of footnotes and bibliographies. Standards for ASA style are specified in the ASA Style Guide, which is published by the American Sociological Association, the main scholarly organization for academic sociologists in the United States. The ASA Style Guide is designed to aid authors preparing manuscripts for ASA journals and publications.
ASA style is closely related in appearance and function to APA (American Psychological Association) style. As with APA style, the general format for citing references is parenthetical referencing. All references are to be included at the end of the paper in a section titled "References," rather than "Works Cited" as in MLA style. Also unlike MLA style, parenthetical references include the year of publication. The "author-date" in text citation system is a readily recognizable feature of ASA style. This emphasis on dates is carried over into the references section, where the date is the first piece of information to follow the author's or authors' name(s).
ASA style is supported by most major reference management software programs, including Endnote, Procite, Zotero, RefWorks, and so forth, making the formatting of references a fairly straightforward task.
- American Sociological Association. 2014. Style Guide. 5th edition. Washington, DC: American Sociological Association. ISBN 978-0912764214.
- Quick Tips for ASA Style (from American Sociological Association)
- Quick Style Guide (from American Sociological Association)
- Bucknell University ASA Style Guide (from Bucknell University)
- ASA Style Guide (from California State University, Los Angeles)
- ASA Style Citations (from Trinity University (Texas), Coates Library)
- ASA Formatting in Sociology (from Purdue University Online Writing Lab)
- ASA Citation Generator (from Cyte Citation Generator)
|This article about a book on language, linguistics or translation is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|