Al otro lado del río
|"Al otro lado del río"|
|Song by Jorge Drexler|
"Al otro lado del río" (English: On the Other Side of the River) is a song, written and performed by Uruguayan singer Jorge Drexler for the film The Motorcycle Diaries (2004). Besides the film's soundtrack, it can also be found in Drexler's seventh album Eco; in the soundtrack the bassist Jeff Eckels also performed.
"Al otro lado del río" received the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 77th Academy Awards, becoming the first song in Spanish, the second in a foreign language, to receive such an honor, and the first by a Uruguayan artist.
The Oscars ceremony producers would not let the then relatively unknown Drexler perform the song during the show for fear of losing ratings. Instead, the song was performed by the more well known Carlos Santana and Antonio Banderas, who were introduced by gushing Salma Hayek. Drexler's acceptance speech for the award consisted of him singing a few lines of his song a cappella, and closed by simply saying Chau! (English: Goodbye).
Awards and nominations
- Won: Academy Award for Best Original Song
- Nominated: Latin Grammy Award for Song of the Year
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 137. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Soundtrack of The Motorcycle Diaries at the Internet Movie Database
- Article at oscars.org
- The 77th Academy Awards (2005): Nominees and Winners