1963 (age 56–57)
|Bulletins from Serbia
Saša Rakezić (born 1963 in Pančevo, Serbia) (better known by the pen name Aleksandar Zograf) is a Serbian cartoonist, author of such works as Life Under Sanctions, Psychonaut, Dream Watcher, and Bulletins from Serbia.
Zograf's work cuts to the heart of life in the former Yugoslavia. In books like Life Under Sanctions and Bulletins from Serbia, he portrays the region's emotional twisting and impossible conditions in a dark yet amusing manner. In his graphic novel Dream Watcher (a nickname given to him by Chief Piercing Eyes of the Pan-American Indian Association), Zograf describes "hypnagogic visions" — the haunting imagery that emerges in the transitional state between wakefulness and sleep.
Zograf has been active on the international scene since the early 1990s when his work started to appear in American comics anthologies such as Weirdo and Zero Zero, and when Seattle's Fantagraphics Books published a few of his titles. The British publisher Slab-O-Concrete published a number of his books, and works by Zograf have been translated and published into many European magazines, and his solo titles have been issued by publishers L'Association in France, PuntoZero and Black Velvet in Italy, Jochen Enterprises in Germany, Sluzbeni Glasnik and SKCNS in Serbia, VBZ in Croatia, KAPSIMI in Greece, Nyittott Konyv in Hungary, and Under Comics in Spain.
- Life Under Sanctions (Fantagraphics, 1994)
- Psychonaut (#1-2 published by Fantagraphics, 1996; #3 by Monster Pants Comics/Freight Films, 1999)
- Flock of Dreamers (Kitchen Sink Press, 1997)
- Bulletins from Serbia: E-Mails & Cartoon Strips From Beyond the Front Line (Slab-O-Concrete, 1999) ISBN 1-899866-31-0 — translated into several languages.
- Dream Watcher (Slab-O-Concrete, 1999) ISBN 1-899866-13-2
- Jamming with Zograf (self-published, 2002) — collaborations with other cartoonists, including Jim Woodring and Robert Crumb.
- Regards from Serbia (Top Shelf Productions, 2007) ISBN 1-891830-42-2
|This Serbian biographical article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This profile of a cartoonist is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|