British Anarchist Bookfair
The First Alternative Book Fair in Leipzig
The First Alternative Book Fair in Leipzig took place from March 11 to 14, 1990 in Leipzig-Gohlis in the clubhouse "Heinrich Budde" in parallel with the official Book Fair and offered the new East German publishers and German small and independent publishers a presentation possibility.
Due to many years of censorship and often single publication possibility via samizdat some Leipzig authors and graphic designers have teamed up and sent to dpa and ADN invitations to an alternate Book Fair, followed by about 40 publishers reported. For nearly 10-strong initiative group included Dieter Kalka, Benjamin Weinkauf, Jayne-Ann Igel, Rosemarie Heinze, Sebastian Kleindienst, Matthias Seydewitz, Hermut Geppert, Peter Hinze and Katharina Luft. Concern was the newly established publishers in the GDR and small publishers an opportunity to present to offer and to make known to each other publishers and authors. Therefore, there was a café for meetings and distributed throughout the day readings. This idea was then taken over by Mrs. Renker for the Leipzig Book Fair and has proven to be Leipzig liest ("Leipzig Reads") established. A continuation of the alternatives Book Fair with the support of officials, as proposed by Ms. Renker, rejected most publishers and the initiative group. Special guest was the Chinese Xing Hu Kuo, he read "A Chinese in Bautzen - 2675 Nights in the stranglehold of the Stasi“, also Christian W. Staudinger with spontan actions and filming the Book Fair.
- "London's anarchist bookfair: the aftermath", Libcom.org, November 24, 2006. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- "Successful Anarchist Bookfair Marred by Police Attack", Indymedia UK, 24 October 2005. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- see also, for German speaking, the video-documentation of the Book Fair and cuttings of the readings by Christian W. Staudinger on YouTube, retrieved 9 December 2015
- Süddeutsche Zeitung, 16.3.1989: Fun and political ambitions, detailed article by Detlef Grumbach
- Website Benjamin Weinkauf
- LVZ, 11. März 1990, „Nun aber!“, Christel Förster about the „Erste Alternative Buchmesse Leipzig“
- Info at Heldenstadt.de
- Detailed information: "The first alternative Leipzig Book Fair 1990" on Boheme & Bohememians
- Doku der 1.ABM
- see, for German speaking, the video-documentation of the Book Fair and cuttings of the readings by Christian W. Staudinger on YouTube, retrieved 9 December 2015
- see also Leerjahre. Leben und Überleben im DDR-Gulag von Andreas Schmidt
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anarchist book fairs.|
- London anarchist bookfair website and an article by Ross Bradshaw on the development of the Bookfair http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/anarchist-bookfair/
- Manchester Anarchist Bookfair
- Balkan Anarchist Bookfair - held in Ljubljana (2006), Zagreb (2007) and Sofia (2008).
- The Bay Area Anarchist Book Fair - The 13th annual Bay Area Anarchist Book Fair was held on March 22–23, 2008 at the SF County Fair Building in San Francisco, California.
- New York City Anarchist Book Fair
- Montreal's anarchist bookfair - founded in 2000, this is the self-proclaimed "largest anarchist event in North America"
- Dublin anarchist bookfair - Organized by the Workers Solidarity Movement, the 3rd annual event on March 15, 2008 attracted 800 people.
- Victoria Anarchist Bookfair & Festival of Anarchy in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
- Edmonton Anarchist Bookfair
- Calgary Anarchist Bookfair in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- London Ontario Anarchist Bookfair in London, Ontario, Canada
- "Third Balkan Anarchist Bookfair in Sofia". Infoshop.org. Retrieved 2008-03-27.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This anarchism-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|