||December 1, 2004
||April 30, 2006
BBC Japan was a television channel from the BBC available via satellite in Japan. Similar in format to BBC Prime (now BBC Entertainment), BBC Japan showed such BBC programmes as Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, with many of them subtitled in Japanese.
The channel launched on December 1, 2004 and was available on Sky PerfecTV! satellite channel 110 and Online TV Company's IPTV service, but ceased broadcasting less than two years later.
On 20 March 2006, the BBC announced that its distributor JMC "no longer has the financial means to honour its contractual commitments to distribute the BBC Japan channel". On 24 April 2006, the BBC confirmed that BBC Japan would cease broadcasting on 30 April 2006.
- ↑ BBC has cunning plan for Japan with Blackadder, The Guardian, 9 October 2004
- ↑ BBC to entertain on Japanese TV, BBC News, 8 October, 2004
- ↑ Subscribers get first view of BBC Japan channel, The Japan Times, December 2, 2004
- ↑ BBC, Deutsche Welle launch on Japan IPTV, C21Media, 14 June, 2005
- ↑ BBC Japan website, 24 April 2006
- ↑ BBC Japan set to close in April, BBC News, 8 October, 2004