The Barelang Bridge (Jembatan Barelang) is a chain of 6 bridges of various types that connect the islands of Batam, Rempang, and Galang (Indonesia). Barelang also refers to the islands themselves, which are all administratively part of the municipality of Batam. The smaller islands of Tonton, Nipah, and Setotok (considered parts of the Batam island group) connect Batam and Rempang. The entire Barelang region covers 715 km².
Some locals call the bridge Jembatan Habibie after Dr. Jusuf Habibie, who oversaw the project in construction, aiming to transform the Rempang and Galang islands into industrial sites (resembling present-day Batam). The concept design for the 6 bridges were proposed by Bruce Ramsay of VSL. Dr. Habibie had requested that the designs should be based on a variation of different structural bridge types, in order to introduce & develop new bridge design & building technologies for the Indonesian market. Overtime the bridge sites have grown more into a tourist attraction rather than a transportation route.
The full stretch of all 6 bridges total to 2 kilometers. Travelling from the first bridge to the last is about 50km and takes about 50 minutes. Construction of the bridges started in 1992 and took names from fifteenth to eighteenth-century rulers of the Riau Sultanate.
The Tengku Fisabilillah bridge connects Batam and Tonton island. It stretches for 642 meters and is the most popular bridge of all, being a cable-stayed bridge with two 118 m high pylons and main span 350 m. Tonton-Nipah Bridge is a cantilever bridge with total length 420 m and main span 160 m. Setoko-Nipah Bridge is a girder bridge with total length 270 m and main span 45 m. Setoko-Rempang Bridge is a cantilever bridge with total length 365 m and main span 145 m. Barelang Bridge (Rempang-Galang Bridge) is an arch bridge with total length 385 m and main span 245 m. The road deck was constructed using the incremental launching method, whereby the deck was constructed on the bridge approach and then launched horizontally by the use of hydraulic jacks with special sliding bearings out over the previously constructed arch.
- Bida Website
- VSL Indonesia projects (has a link to Batam-Tonton bridge brochure)
- Tonton-Nipah Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Setoko-Nipah Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Setoko-Rempang Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
- Barelang Bridge at StructuraeLua error in Module:WikidataCheck at line 22: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Barelang Bridge.|
|This article about a bridge in Indonesia is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|