William D. Schanes (born 1958) is an executive in the comic book industry.
Bill and his brother Steve Schanes co-founded Pacific Comics in 1971. Pacific Comics was an early pioneer in the direct market method of selling comic books, as well as a publisher in its own right (beginning in 1981) which actively promoted creator-owned properties. At Pacific, Bill Schanes "took on the nuts-and-bolts aspects of business and accounting." Pacific collapsed in 1984.
In 1987, Puma Blues publisher Dave Sim fell into dispute with Diamond over Sim's decision not to use Diamond to distribute the Cerebus graphic novel High Society. As a result, Schanes, in his role as National Account Representative, informed Sim: "If it is your intention to pick and choose which products you want distributors to carry, it should be our privilege to choose what we wish to distribute. Therefore, it is our feeling we should no longer carry and promote Puma Blues." At that time, Diamond distributed an estimated 33% of the series' print run. Puma Blues creators Stephen Murphy and Michael Zulli responded with an open letter titled "Not Fade Away," stating their intent to continue with or without Diamond's support.
Later in 1988, Diamond backed down and agreed to distribute The Puma Blues, but the incident was one of the primary factors leading to Sim's participation in developing the Creator's Bill of Rights.
- Sanford, Jay Allen. "Two Men and their Comic Books," San Diego Reader blog (August 19, 2004).
- "Newswatch: Pacific Suspends Operations," The Comics Journal #93 (September 1984), pp. 8-10.
- Letters pages, The Puma Blues #15 (February 1988).
- "Diamond Distributors Clashes With Aardvark-Vanaheim," The Comics Journal #122 (March 1988), p. 7.
- "Diamond Backs Down," The Comics Journal #121 (April 1988), 7.
- "A-V, Diamond Clash Again," The Comics Journal #122 (June 1988), pp. 20-21.
- "Diamond Loosens Up," The Comics Journal #122 (June 1988), pp. 20.
- Text of the Creators' Bill of Rights at ScottMcCloud.com
|This biography of a publisher is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|