From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
(Redirected from Birlinn Limited)
|Country of origin||Scotland|
Birlinn Limited is an independent publishing house based in Edinburgh, Scotland. Established in 1992 by Managing Director Hugh Andrew, Birlinn Limited is composed of a number of imprints, including:
- Birlinn publishes Scottish interest books, from biography to history, military history and Scottish Gaelic. The name comes from the old Norse word birlinn, meaning a long boat or small galley with 12 to 18 oars, used especially in the Hebrides and West Highlands of Scotland in the Middle Ages.
- Polygon Books publishes literary fiction and poetry, both classic and modern, from Scottish writers such as Robin Jenkins, George Mackay Brown, and the author of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith. Polygon Books was originally set up by students of Edinburgh University in the late 1960s.
- Mercat Press, founded in 1970 and acquired by Birlinn in 2007, now an imprint publishing walking and climbing guides. Mercat is the Scots language word for "market" or "trade".
- Academic books about Scotland are published under the imprint John Donald.
- Martin C. Strong
- The Great Folk Discography, Vol. 1: Pioneers & Early Legends (2010)
- The Great Folk Discography, Vol. 2: The Next Generation (2011)
|This article about a company of Scotland is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This article about a media company in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|