Clasp to the Iron Cross
|Clasp to the Iron Cross
Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz
1939 editions of the Clasp to the Iron Cross
|Awarded by Nazi Germany|
|Eligibility||Military personnel who had already received the Iron Cross (1914) for bravery in battle as well as other military contributions in a battlefield environment.|
|Campaign||World War II|
|Established||1 September 1939|
Clasps to the 1914 Iron Cross can be seen below a button on the Iron Cross ribbon (Second Class) and on the left breast pocket (First Class) of the tunic of Generaloberst Johannes Friessner
The Clasp to the Iron Cross (Spange zum Eisernen Kreuz) was a metal medal clasp displayed on the uniforms of German Wehrmacht personnel who had been awarded the Iron Cross in World War I. It was displayed on the uniforms of many high-ranking officers during World War II as most had also served in World War I.
A holder of the 1914 Iron Cross could be awarded a second or higher grade of the 1939 Iron Cross. To permit the two medals to be worn together, a "1939 Clasp" (Spange) would be worn on the original 1914 Iron Cross. It depicted an eagle clutching an oak leaf wreath surrounding a swastika above a trapezoid including the year 1939. It was attached to the 1914 Iron Cross medal ribbon beneath a tunic button. A similar award had been made in 1914 but was quite rare, since there were few in service at that time who held the even earlier 1870 Iron Cross.
For the First Class award the clasp was pinned directly above the Iron Cross on the breast of the wearer. Although two separate awards, in some cases the holders soldered them together.
- "Iron Cross". wehrmacht-awards.com. Retrieved 2009-03-28.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Künker, Fritz-Rudolf (2010). Künker Auktion 173 - Orden und Ehrenzeichen aus verschiedenem Besitz (in German). Numismatischer Verlag. Retrieved 2015-06-30. p. 40.
- "Wiederholungsspange 1939 zum Eisernen Kreuz 1.Klasse 1914" (in German). Ehrenzeichen-Orden. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Miniature 'Wiederholungsspange' - L/16". Militaria Plaza. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Wiederholungsspange 1939 Zum Eisernen Kreuz". Warneke. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Wiederholungsspange(1939) für das Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse" (in German). Spree Militaria. Retrieved 2015-06-30.
- "Iron Cross 2nd Class". wehrmacht-awards.com. Retrieved 2009-03-28.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Clasp to the Iron Cross at Axis Forum History