Create (TV network)
|Type||Digital broadcast television network (Home improvement, Arts and crafts, Cooking, Travel, and other DIY programs)|
(through OTA digital television and digital cable, though not available in every market)
|Slogan||The TV channel for cooking, arts & crafts, gardening, home improvement, and travel.|
|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|Owner||American Public Television|
|January 2006, 10|
|1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
Create is an American digital broadcast television network owned by American Public Television (APT). The network, broadcasts how-to, DIY and other lifestyle-oriented instructional programming 24 hours a day.
It is distributed through digital subchannel affiliations with public television stations – generally those that are members of the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS), as well as through carriage on the digital tiers of certain cable television providers through a local affiliate of the network. Create was launched on January 10, 2006, and developed as a result of PBS' announcement of the closure of its similarly formatted lifestyle network, PBS YOU.
On May 1, 2015, with the vast majority of the network's programming library being shot in 16:9 high definition other than older archive content, the network underwent the first update to its imaging since its 2006 launch, and began to distribute the network solely in 16:9 widescreen rather than the 4:3 presentation of the past designed for standard definition screens. As such, some PBS stations (particularly those which carry at least three multiplexed feeds) currently carry the network feed using the #8 Active Format Description tag, displaying the Create feed in a compacted 4:3 aspect ratio for all programs regardless of the respective program's native picture format.
Create's program schedule relies on the library of instructional and lifestyle programs distributed by network owner American Public Television, PBS (including many member stations that distribute programming to that network or through syndication, such as WGBH-TV in Boston, and WLIW and WNET in New York City) and the National Educational Telecommunications Association (NETA) (which also provides certain services for the network).
Create primarily airs cooking programs (such as Lidia's Italy, Mexico: One Plate at a Time, Sara's Weeknight Meals, and America's Test Kitchen and its spin-off Cook's Country), which make up much of the network's morning, primetime and overnight schedules. It also carries various home improvement, gardening and arts and crafts programs (such as Hometime, Sewing with Nancy and This Old House), along with select travel-oriented series (such as Globe Trekker and Rick Steves' Europe).
On Saturday mornings and evenings, and Sunday afternoons, the network also airs marathons that are either based on a particular theme, food-related holidays, or of a particular program.
Current Programming (2015)
- The Best Of The Joy Of Painting
- Burt Wolf: Travels & Traditions
- BBQ With Franklin
- Christina Cooks
- Dining With The Chef
- For Your Home
- Knit & Crochet Now!
- Neven Maguire: Home Chef
- Rick Steves' Europe
- Taste The Islands With Chef Irie
- The Victory Garden
- Woodsmith Shop
- Live Well Network, a competing commercial lifestyle subchannel network owned by the Disney-ABC Television Group
- Food Network, a lifestyle-oriented cable network owned by Scripps Networks Interactive and Tribune Media featuring similar cooking instruction programs
- Cooking Channel, a lifestyle-oriented cable network owned by Scripps Networks Interactive featuring similar cooking instruction programs
- DIY Network, a lifestyle-oriented cable network owned by Scripps Networks Interactive featuring similar home improvement and DIY programs
- HGTV, a lifestyle-oriented cable network owned by Scripps Networks Interactive featuring similar home improvement and DIY programs
- Travel Channel, a lifestyle-oriented cable network owned by Scripps Networks Interactive featuring similar travel-oriented programs