|Born||Delbert Martin Mann, Jr.
January 30, 1920
Lawrence, Kansas, U.S.
|Died||November 11, 2007 (aged 87)
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Ann Caroline Mann
Delbert Martin Mann, Jr. (January 30, 1920 – November 11, 2007) was an American television and film director. He won the Palme d'Or (Golden Palm) at the Cannes Film Festival and the Academy Award for Best Director for the film Marty. It was the first Best Picture winner to be based on a television program, being adapted from a 1953 teleplay of the same name which he had also directed. Mann is also the only director other than Billy Wilder and Roman Polanski to win an Oscar for his direction and a Cannes Palme d'Or for the same film. From 1967 to 1971, he was president of the Directors Guild of America. Mann's work is often seen to be part of the expressive sentimental style of film directing.
Mann was born in Lawrence, Douglas County, Kansas, the son of Ora (née Patton), a civic worker and teacher, and Delbert Martin Mann, Sr., a college professor. Mann graduated from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. After school, he served with the U.S. Army Air Forces in WW II, as a combat pilot of a B-24 Liberator of the 467th Bomb Group of the Eighth Air Force in England. After his discharge he attended Yale Drama School, and graduated, followed by work in theater and eventually, TV and movies. He was married to Ann Caroline Mann from 1941 until his wife's death in 2001. Mann died from pneumonia on November 11, 2007 at a Los Angeles hospital.
- Marty (1955)
- The Bachelor Party (1957)
- Desire Under the Elms (1958)
- Separate Tables (1958)
- Middle of the Night (1959)
- The Dark at the Top of the Stairs (1960)
- Lover Come Back (1961)
- The Outsider (1961)
- That Touch of Mink (1962)
- A Gathering of Eagles (1963)
- Dear Heart (1964)
- Quick, Before It Melts (1964)
- Mister Buddwing (1966)
- Fitzwilly (1967)
- The Pink Jungle (1968)
- Heidi (TV adaptation, 1968) See "Heidi Game"
- David Copperfield (1969)
- Kidnapped (1971)
- The Man Without a Country (TV adaptation, 1973)
- Birch Interval (1976)
- All Quiet on the Western Front (TV adaptation, 1979)
- Night Crossing (1982)
- The Gift of Love: A Christmas Story (1983 television movie)
- The Last Days of Patton (1986 made-for-television movie)
- Lily in Winter (1994 television movie)
Academy Awards in Delbert Mann Films
|1957||The Bachelor Party||1||0|
|1958||Desire Under the Elms||1||0|
|1960||The Dark at the Top of the Stairs||1||0|
|1961||Lover Come Back||1||0|
|1962||That Touch of Mink||3||0|
|1963||A Gathering of Eagles||1||0|