Dentsu Aegis Network
Innovating The Way Brands Are Built
|Private limited company|
|Founded||2013 (Dentsu Aegis Network)
1966 (Centrale d'achats radio, affichage, télévision)
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Jerry Buhlmann (CEO)|
|Revenue||£1,135.0 million (2011)|
|£197.4 million (2011)|
|£81.1 million (2011)|
Number of employees
|circa 23,000 (2014)|
Dentsu Aegis Network Ltd. is a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London, United Kingdom, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Dentsu. Its principal services are communications strategy through digital creative execution, media planning and buying, sports marketing and content creation, brand tracking and marketing analytics. It is organised into nine main divisions: Carat, Dentsu (operations outside Japan), Dentsu media, mcgarrybowen, MKTG, Posterscope, Isobar, iProspect and Vizeum. Dentsu Aegis Network manages all the Dentsu inc. owned businesses outside the Japan market, which includes the former Aegis Group business that it acquired in 2013. It also includes 360i, Amplifi, Amnet, The StoryLab, Data2Decisions, Mitchell Communications and psLIVE. It has 23,000 people across 110 countries.
Aegis' origins date back to the founding of the media agency Centrale d'Achats Radio, Affichage, Télévision (Carat) in France in 1966. Formerly listed on the London Stock Exchange and a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index, Aegis was acquired by the Japan-based advertising group Dentsu in March 2013.
The Carat business can be traced back to the founding in France in 1966 by Gilbert Gross of the media agency Centrale d'achats Radio, Affichage, Télévision (Carat). Carat was the first media independent agency.
In 1979 WCRS Group was formed as an advertising agency and in 1984 WCRS Group acquired Carat. WCRS Group became one of the fastest growing marketing services groups of the 1980s.
WCRS Group was led by Peter Scott—the ‘S’ of WCRS— who went on to found Aegis in 1989 as a separate company based on the original WCRS media buying division which itself was centred on the French media business Carat.
The old WCRS agency has re-emerged as part of the Engine Group.
In 1990, the name of the company was officially changed from WCRS to Aegis Group.
In July 2012 the Japanese advertising company Dentsu agreed to acquire Aegis for £3.16 billion (US$5 billion). Aegis shareholders approved the transaction on 16 August 2012 and the acquisition was completed on 26 March 2013 following receipt of clearance from the anti-trust authorities of China.
On 1 January 2014, Dentsu Inc established and launched Dentsu Aegis Network which comprises Aegis Business and all the Dentsu owned companies outside of Japan.
Subsidiaries and divisions
Dentsu Aegis Network has the following main subsidiaries and divisions:
- Carat: a media communications specialist.
- Dentsu Media: a media communications specialist
- Isobar: a global digital marketing network
- iProspect: a global digital performance marketing agency
- McGarryBowen : a global full service advertising agency
- MKTG: Lifestyle marketing agency
- Posterscope: an out-of-home media specialist
- Milestone Brandcom: an out-of-home media specialist
- Vizeum: a media communications specialist
- Covario: a search performance agency.
- Story Lab: brand activation and branded content.
- 360i: a digital communication and performance marketing agency.
Dentsu Aegis Network services include:
- Communications strategy and consultancy
- Creative services
- Consumer insight and media research solutions
- Offline and Online media planning and buying
- Data analysis and evaluation
- Digital search management (PPC, SEO)
- Digital consultancy including email, mobile, affiliates and site-build, SEO and digital creative solutions through the Isobar network
- Media sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management
- Branded content - creation, negotiation and management
- Event sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management including bespoke event creation
- Sport sponsorship - creation, negotiation and management
- Customer communications planning
- Advertising forecasting
The company is headed by an Executive Board composed of Tim Andree (Executive Chairman, Dentsu Aegis Network and Director, Executive Vice President, Dentsu Inc.), Jerry Buhlmann (CEO, Dentsu Aegis Network, and Executive Officer of Dentsu Inc.), Kunihiro Matsushima (Vice Chairman of Dentsu Aegis Network and Senior Vice President, Dentsu Inc.), Nick Priday (CFO Dentsu Aegis Network), Nigel Morris (CEO Dentsu Aegis Network Americas and EMEA), Nick Waters (CEO Dentsu Aegis Network Asia Pacific), and other members. 
- Interim Management Statement November 2012
- Simon Marquis, Full service will never be resumed, Guardian, February 19th 2007
- Caroline Marshall, Ad hoc: Agency warhorses come charging back for buyout, Daily Telegraph, April 12, 2004
- Dan Sabbagh, Agency finds new power in Engine, Times, November 18, 2005
- funding Universe,AEGIS GROUP PLC History
- "Aegis sold to Dentsu to create global digital media giant". BBC News. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Aegis agrees £3.16bn cash offer from Dentsu". The Telegraph. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Japan's Dentsu to Acquire Aegis Group for $4.9 billion". AdAge. 12 July 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Dentsu Completes Aegis Acquisition". Adweek. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 27 March 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Dentsu global network
- "Our Networks". Dentsu Aegis Network. Retrieved 7 April 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Story". Company web site. Retrieved 16 October 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Carat forecasts for worldwide advertising expenditure in 2015 and 2016
- Dents Aegis Network Brand Board
- Dentsu Aegis Network
- Dentsu Media
- Mitchell Communications Group
- Story Lab