Edward Boyle, Baron Boyle of Handsworth
Early life & career
Boyle was born in Kensington, London, the eldest son of Sir Edward Boyle, 2nd Baronet, and succeeded to his father's baronetcy in 1945. He was educated at Eton and graduated from Christ Church, Oxford, in 1949 with a third-class BA (later converted to an MA) in history. From 1942 to 1945, he was a temporary junior administration officer at the Foreign Office. He worked at Bletchley Park in intelligence.
Boyle entered Parliament in 1950 as MP for Birmingham Handsworth, a seat he would hold until his retirement in 1970. He served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Under-Secretary of State for Air from 1951–52 and to the Under-Secretary of State for Defence in 1952, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Supply from 1954–55, Economic Secretary to the Treasury from 1955–56, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Education from 1957–59, Financial Secretary to the Treasury from 1959–62, Minister of Education from 1962–64 and Minister of State for Education and Science in 1964.
University of Leeds
Boyle was appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leeds in 1970. He was a Trustee of the British Museum from 1970 to 1981 and Chairman of the Committee of Vice-Chancellors and Principals of UK Universities from 1977 to 1979.
- University of Leeds (1965)
- University of Southampton (1965)
- University of Bath (1968)
- University of Sussex (1972)
- University of Liverpool (1981)
- The politics of education: Edward Boyle and Anthony Crosland in conversation with Maurice Kogan (Penguin education specials), ed. M. Kogan, Harmondsworth : Penguin, 1971.
- The Bedside 'Guardian' 22 (1972-73). Introduction, London : Collins, 1973.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography accessed 26 July 2009
- University of Leeds Library Catalogue of Correspondence of Edward Boyle
- The Independent 4 June 2008 Robert Hanks: The Week in Radio
- The Peerage, entry for Lord Boyle
- email@example.com. "Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh: Honorary Graduates". www1.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-06.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- List of Companions of Honour
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Edward Boyle
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Birmingham Handsworth
|Economic Secretary to the Treasury
|Financial Secretary to the Treasury
|Vice-Chancellor, University of Leeds
William Walsh (acting)
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|