Europe PubMed Central
|Description||Europe PMC: a full-text literature database for the life sciences and platform for innovation|
|Research center||European Bioinformatics Institute|
|Authors||Europe PMC Consortium|
|Primary citation||Europe PMC Consortium (2015)|
Europe PubMed Central (Europe PMC) is an on-line database that offers free access to a large and growing collection of biomedical research literature. It was known as UK PubMed Central until 1 November 2012. The Europe PMC project was originally launched in 2007 as the first ‘mirror’ site to PMC, which aims to provide international preservation of the open and free-access biomedical and life sciences literature. It forms part of a network of PMC International (PMCI) repositories that includes PubMed Central Canada. Europe PMC is not an exact "mirror" of the PMC database but has developed some different features. On February 15, 2013, CiteXplore was subsumed under Europe PubMed Central.
The resource is managed and developed by the European Molecular Biology Laboratory-European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), along with The British Library, Jisc, NaCTeM and the University of Manchester on behalf of an alliance of 27 biomedical and life sciences research funders, led by the Wellcome Trust. The Europe PMC funders group requires that articles describing the results of biomedical and life sciences research they have supported be made freely available in Europe PMC within 6 months of publication to maximise the impact of the work that they fund.
Europe PMC provides free access to more than 3.4 million full-text biomedical and life sciences research articles and over 30 million citations. Europe PMC contains some citation information and includes text-mining based marked up text that links to external molecular and medical datasets. The Grant Lookup facility allows users to search for information on over 53,000 grants awarded by the Europe PMC funders.
Europe PMC offers a manuscript submission system, Europe PMC plus, which allows scientists to submit their peer-reviewed research articles for inclusion in the Europe PMC collection.
Europe PMC is supported by twenty-seven organisations: Action on Hearing Loss, Alzheimer's Society, Arthritis Research UK, Austrian Science Fund (FWF), the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, Bloodwise, Breast Cancer Now, the British Heart Foundation, Cancer Research UK, the Chief Scientist Office of the Scottish Executive Health Department, Diabetes UK, the Department of Health, the Dunhill Medical Trust, the European Research Council, Marie Curie, the Medical Research Council, the Motor Neurone Disease Association, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, the Myrovlytis Trust, the National Centre for the Replacement, Refinement and Reduction of Animals in Research (NC3Rs), Parkinson's UK, Prostate Cancer UK, Telethon Italy, the Wellcome Trust, the World Health Organization, Worldwide Cancer Research (formerly Association for International Cancer Research) and Yorkshire Cancer Research.
- "Europe PMC: a full-text literature database for the life sciences and platform for innovation", Nucleic Acids Research, 2015 January 28; 43 (Database issue): D1042–D1048
- Kinsey, Anna (1 November 2012). "UKPMC becomes Europe PubMed Central". Europe PubMed Central. Retrieved 1 November 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "PMC International". Ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2012-11-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "UKPMC: a full text article resource for the life sciences", Nucleic Acids Research, 2011 January; 39 (Database issue): D58–D65
- "Funders - About - Europe PubMed Central". Europepmc.org. Retrieved 2012-11-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Europe PubMed Central Funders" Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 2015-05-01.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>