Italian Rugby Federation
|Federazione Italiana Rugby|
|Rugby Europe affiliation||1934|
|Men's coach||Jacques Brunel|
|Women's coach||Andrea Di Giandomenico|
The Italian Rugby Federation (Italian: Federazione Italiana Rugby) or FIR is the governing body for the sport of rugby union in Italy. The FIR has one seat on the 28-member World Rugby Council, the governing body of World Rugby. (All other members of the Six Nations have two seats on the Council.)
There are two fully professional Italian clubs that play in the Pro12, in the European Rugby Champions Cup and in the European Rugby Challenge Cup—Benetton Rugby Treviso and Zebre. There are ten semi-professional Italian clubs that play in the National Championship of Excellence, four of which qualify to play in the European Rugby Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition to qualify to the European Rugby Challenge Cup.
On 25 July 1911 a Propaganda Committee was formed to promote the sport of rugby union in Italy. In 1928 this body became the Federazione Italiana Rugby (FIR). In 1934 the FIR were founder members of the Fédération Internationale de Rugby Amateur, now known as Rugby Europe.
The FIR joined the International Rugby Football Board, later known as the International Rugby Board and now as World Rugby, in 1987 when they took part in the inaugural World Cup. The Italy national rugby union team have played in the Six Nations Championship since 2000.
- Alfredo Gavazzi (2012 - present) - founder of Rugby Calvisano
- Giancarlo Dondi (1996-2012) - Gained Italy's entry into the Six Nations Championship in 2000
- Maurizio Mondelli (1984-1996)
The FIR is responsible for fielding several national teams:
- Italy national rugby union team - plays in the Six Nations and in the Rugby World Cup
- Italy national rugby union team (sevens)
- Italy national under-20 rugby union team - plays in the Junior World Championship and in the World Rugby Under 20 Trophy
- Italy national women's rugby union team
- ESPN Scrum, Italian rugby chief wades into euro row, Sep. 20, 2012, http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2012-13/rugby/story/170055.html
- (Italian) Official site
|This rugby union article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|