|Location of Joshua, Texas
Location of Joshua, Texas
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||6.5 sq mi (16.9 km2)|
|• Land||6.5 sq mi (16.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||928 ft (283 m)|
|• Density||909.2/sq mi (349.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1338888|
Joshua is located at Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. (32.455198, -97.393622).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.5 square miles (17 km2), of which, 6.5 square miles (17 km2) of it is land and 0.15% is water.
Theodore "Ted" Roosevelt Strube was the first mayor of Joshua, Texas about 1949. His wife, Sylvia Couch Strube, was the first florist of Joshua. In 1963, Mayor T.R. Strube died very suddenly due to heart related issues. Sylvia continued to run the Joshua Floral from their home on 14th Street until the early 1990s. She never remarried, living alone at the same location until the time of her death on September 11, 2008. Sylvia was 94 years old. Sylvia Strube was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star in Joshua. Mayor T. R. Strube & his wife, Sylvia, are rested in the Rose Hill Cemetery of Cleburne, Texas, sharing a tombstone with Sylvia's mother, Alice Couch, and brother Willis Couch of Johnson County. They had no children.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,528 people, 1,610 households, and 1,252 families residing in the city. The population density was 695.3 people per square mile (268.6/km²). There were 1,723 housing units at an average density of 264.6 per square mile (102.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 94.46% White, 0.27% African American, 0.64% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 2.85% from other races, and 1.48% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 7.91% of the population.
There were 1,610 households out of which 40.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.6% were married couples living together, 11.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.2% were non-families. 17.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.7% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 28.8% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 98.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $43,431, and the median income for a family was $50,785. Males had a median income of $36,686 versus $23,674 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,363. About 3.9% of families and 6.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.7% of those under age 18 and 7.7% of those age 65 or over. There were 2 African American slaves at the time Joshua was founded.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Strube, Sylvia (September 2008). "Obituary". Cleburne, Tx: Cleburne Times Review. Archived from the original on 2008-09-15. Retrieved 11/12/2012. Check date values in:
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Joshua ISD Attendance Zone Map – Joshua Independent School District. Retrieved 6 May 2009.