Dr Kathryn Sheffield is an Australian scientist working in the fields of satellite remote sensing, GIS, land cover mapping, agricultural productivity, landscape scale monitoring working in the Victorian Department of Environment and Primary Industries.
Education and career
Dr Sheffield gained her Bachelor of Environmental Science (honours) from Deakin University 2002. She was awarded a PhD from School of Mathematical and Geospatial Sciences, RMIT 2009. She worked on an Australian Research Council Linkage Grant examining multi-spectral remote sensing of native vegetation condition.
As of 2014, Dr Sheffield works as a research scientist (remote sensing) in the Spatial Information Sciences group within the Agriculture Research & Development division of the Department of Environment and Primary Industries, Victoria.
Her areas of work at that time included: - The Victorian Land Use Information System, which won both the 7th Victorian and Asia Pacific Spatial Excellence Awards in 2011, for Spatially Enabled Government, - Using satellite data to improve irrigation water management, and - Soil moisture mapping in high rainfall zones of Victoria using radar imagery.
- Sheffield, K., Morse-McNabb (2014) The Influence of land cover history on productivity, Soil Change Matters, Bendigo 24–27 March 2014.
- Serbina, L. and Miller, H.M, 2014, Landsat uses and benefits—Case studies by application area. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2014–1108, 61 p.
- MacEwan, R., Morse-McNabb, E., Hopley, J., Perry, E., Clark, R., Sheffield, K. (2014) Crop productivity, ground cover and wind erosion likelihood – modelling and mapping surface soil protection for in-season and long-term risk management, 20th World Congress of Soil Science. Soils Embrace Life and the Universe, Jeju, South Korea, 8–13 June 2014
- Sheffield, K., Abuzar, M., Whitfield, D., McAllister, A., O'Connell, M., McClymont, L. (2013) Assessing riparian vegetation status using remotely sensed evapotranspiration and vegetation cover. pp 423–436 in Progress in Geospatial Science, eds. C. Arrowsmith, C. Bellman, W. Cartwright, S. Jones, M. Shortis, School of Mathematics and Geospatial Science, RMIT University, Melbourne, Victoria.
- "Kathryn Sheffield". Researchgate.net. Retrieved 2014-08-14.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- http://vro.depi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosite.nsf/pages/luis and http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/agriculture-and-food/horticulture/horticulture-research/land-use-information-in-victoria
- "DEPI - Using satellite technology to improve irrigation management on Victorian farms". Depi.vic.gov.au. 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2014-08-14.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>