Languages of Hungary
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Languages of Hungary|
|Minority languages||German, Romanian|
|Main foreign languages||English (16%)
|Sign languages||Hungarian Sign Language|
The languages spoken in Hungary are as follows.
- Uralic languages
- Indo-European languages
- – German: spoken by the German minority, especially in and around Mecsek Mountains, but also in other parts of the country. (Historically, the Swabian German dialect was spoken in Hungary.)
- – Slovak: spoken by the Slovak minority, especially in the North Hungarian Mountains and around Békéscsaba.
- – Serbian: spoken by the Serbian minority, especially in and around Bácska, but also on other territories of Southern Hungary.
- – Slovene: spoken by the Slovene minority, especially around the Slovenian border, Western Hungary.
- – Croatian: spoken by the Croatian minority, especially in Southern Hungary.
- – Romanian: spoken by the Romanian minority, especially in and around Gyula, Eastern Hungary.
- – Romani: spoken by some members of the Roma minority throughout the country.
Population by knowledge of languages
|Language||Number of speakers (2011)||Note|
|Hungarian||9,896,333 (99.6%)||The only official language of Hungary. Of whom 9,827,875 people (98.9%) speak it as a first language, while 68,458 people (0.7%) speak it as a second language.|
|English||1,589,180 (16.0%)||Foreign language|
|German||1,111,997 (11.2%)||Foreign language and co-official minority language|
|Russian||158,497 (1.6%)||Foreign language|
|Romanian||128,852 (1.3%)||Foreign language and co-official minority language|
|French||117,121 (1.2%)||Foreign language|
|Italian||80,837 (0.8%)||Foreign language|
- Hungarian census 2011 / Országos adatok / 184.108.40.206. A népesség nyelvismeret és nemek szerint (population by spoken language), 220.127.116.11 A népesség anyanyelv, nemzetiség és nemek szerint (population by mother tongue and ethnicity) (Hungarian)
- Note: percentages do not add up to 100% as, according to the census, large proportion of Hungarians speak more than one language (native and a second language). Not all languages are shown.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Languages of Hungary.|