Made in Leeds
|Made in Leeds|
|Launched||6 November 2014|
|Owned by||Made Television|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Audience share||Local TV Macro Network:[Note 1]
0.01% (September 2015 , BARB)
|Headquarters||Leeds Media & Broadcasting Centre, Chapeltown, Leeds|
|Sister channel(s)||Made in Bristol
Made in Cardiff
Made in Tyne & Wear
|Virgin Media||Channel 159|
Made in Leeds is a local television station serving Leeds and West Yorkshire. The station is owned and operated by Made Television Ltd and forms part of a group of four city-based TV stations. It broadcasts from studios and offices in the Chapeltown area of Leeds.
In February 2013, the broadcast regulator OFCOM announced Made Television had been awarded a licence to broadcast the local TV service for Leeds and West Yorkshire, serving a potential audience of 3.5 million viewers - the largest footprint in the Made TV network.
In May 2012, media regulator Ofcom extended the invitation for local operators in cities across the United Kingdom to operate a new local television service in their area. There were four other bids for the licence - Leeds TV (a group including Leeds United), Metro8 Leeds, 'NORTH' and YourTV Leeds.
The channel began broadcasting on Freeview, Sky and Virgin Media platforms on Thursday 6 November 2014, following the launches of Made TV's Bristol and Cardiff stations the previous month. After three months on air, Made in Leeds claimed a weekly audience of around 431,000 viewers. The station currently claims a monthly audience of 715,000 viewers.
Since August 2015, the station has also been streaming live online via its website. On 5 April 2016, Made in Leeds moved from Freeview channel 8 to Freeview channel 7.
Made in Leeds is required to broadcast 37 hours a week of first-run local programming.
Its flagship programme is the twice-nightly local news magazine, On the Aire, which airs at 6pm and 9pm each weeknight, with hour-long review editions on Saturdays and Sundays. The main feature programme is the channel's entertainment magazine show, The Book It List, which airs at 6.30pm on weeknights.
Other local programmes include the local music showcase Vibrations, newspaper review show Between the Lines, highlights from Leeds University's student TV service LSTV and football chat show All Leeds Aren't We.
Programmes produced by the other Made TV stations in Bristol, Cardiff and Tyne & Wear also air on the channel along with acquired programming from other broadcasters, including local TV stations around the UK.
- Audience data for Local TV channels across England, Wales & N. Ireland are measured and reported together, as "Local TV Macro Network".
- "Ofcom awards Leeds local TV licence". Ofcom. Retrieved 1 March 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ofcom. "Licensing Local Television – Statement". Ofcom. Retrieved 6 February 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- O'Brien, Mark (14 May 2013). "Made in Leeds: the next milestone for broadcasting from the North". Guardian Northerner. Retrieved 16 May 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Robinson, Paul (15 February 2013). "Leeds United lose out in race to run local TV channel". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 1 March 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Made in Leeds viewing figures revealed, Made in Leeds, 4 February 2015
- Made in Leeds to move up on Freeview, Made in Leeds, 4 April 2016
- OFCOM allows six local TV stations to cut back on local programming, news and current affairs, Press Gazette, 8 October 2015
- On the Aire, Made in Leeds