Swiss intelligence agencies
As of 1 January 2010, there is a new security policy instrument in Switzerland, the Federal Intelligence Service (FIS) (German: Nachrichtendienst des Bundes, NDB; French: Service de renseignement de la Confédération, SRC; Italian: Servizio delle attività informative della Confederazione, SIC; Romansh: Servetsch da las activitads infurmativs da la Confederaziun, SIC). The new service was created by merging the Service for Analysis and Prevention (DAP) with the Strategic Intelligence Service (SND). Through the use of synergies and consistent adjustment to the needs of the service recipients a powerful intelligence service was created which is adapted to meet modern requirements and which forms the future contact for all levels of the Confederation and the cantons.
Partners and service recipients
The partners and service recipients of the FIS are the political and military leaders, the federal administration, in particular the departments:
- Federal Department of Defence, Civil Protection and Sport (DDPS)
- Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP)
- Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA)
- Federal Department of Economic Affairs (FDEA).
- Important partners are also the cantons, including 84 national security agents engaged by the Confederation.
Abroad the FIS maintains contacts to more than 100 intelligence, police and security services throughout the world. These bilateral and multilateral contacts have all been authorised by the Federal Council.
The legal foundations for the activities of the FIS and thus for its missions are according to the Federal Act on Responsibilities in the Area of the Civilian Intelligence Service (CISA)
- the FIS procures security policy relevant information about other countries and evaluates these
- the FIS fulfils intelligence tasks relating to inner security according to the STA
- the FIS ensures a comprehensive assessment of the threat situation.
And according to the Federal Act on Measures to Safeguard Internal Security (STA)
- the FIS recognises and combats dangers relating to terrorism, illegal intelligence, violent extremism and proliferation and
- identifies attacks against critical information infrastructure.
The thematic and geographic areas of interest are:
- In Switzerland these are terrorism and violent extremism, proliferation, attacks against critical infrastructure and illegal intelligence activities.
- Abroad, the FIS’s thematic areas continue to be proliferation, terrorism, armed forces development, operational areas of our armed forces abroad as well as weapon technology and arms trade.
- The geographic areas of interest continue to be Europe, Russia and the CIS states, the Near East and north Africa, the Middle East, Asia, the USA and hot spots in Africa.
The Swiss government produces an annual report:
Military Intelligence Service
The Military Intelligence Service (German: Militärischer Nachrichtendienst; French: Service de renseignement militaire; Italian: Servizio informazioni militare) is the military intelligence branch of the Armed Forces.
Postal Service and Telecommunications Surveillance
The Postal Service and Telecommunications Surveillance (French: Surveillance de la correspondance par poste et télécommunication, SCPT; German: Überwachung Post- und Fernmeldeverkehr, ÜPF; Italian: Sorveglianza della corrispondenza postale e del traffico delle telecomunicazioni, SCPT; Romansh: surveglianza dal traffic da posta e da telecommunicaziun, STPT) is a service within the Federal Department of Justice and Police (since 1 January 2008) charged with coordinating wiretapping requests of the criminal investigation authorities.
In 2012, a senior IT technician stole crucial intelligence documents.
In 2014, an agent of the Federal Intelligence Services is involved in a hacking case against journalists acting for Giroud, the Swiss winemaker.
- "Federal Intelligence Service" (PDF). Swiss Confederation. Retrieved February 9, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Federal Intelligence Service FIS (official website)
- Strategic Intelligence Service - Official publication (German)
- "Military Intelligence Service". Swiss Armed Forces. Retrieved 13 July 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles> (English)
- Post and Telecommunications Surveillance Service (PTSS) Homepage (English)