Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography
The Miroslav Krleža Institute of Lexicography (Croatian: Leksikografski zavod Miroslav Krleža or LZMK) is Croatia's national lexicographical institution. Based in Zagreb, it was originally established in 1950 as the national lexicographical institute of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. It was renamed after the Croatian writer and its founder Miroslav Krleža in 1983.
The institute was founded in 1950 as the Lexicographical Institute of the Federal People's Republic of Yugoslavia (Leksikografski zavod FNRJ) and was renamed the Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute (Jugoslavenski leksikografski zavod, JLZ) in 1964.
After Krleža's death in 1981, the institute was renamed as the Yugoslav Lexicographical Institute "Miroslav Krleža" (Jugoslavenski leksikografski zavod "Miroslav Krleža").
The institute employs numerous scientists in many areas of expertise and issues general and specific reference works as well as maps and travel guides. Some notable works started or completed by the institute:
- Encyclopedia of Yugoslavia (Enciklopedija Jugoslavije) – 1st ed. in 8 volumes (1955–71); 2nd ed. with only 6 out of the planned 12 volumes released (1980–90)
- Maritime Encyclopedia (Pomorska enciklopedija) – in 8 volumes (1954–64)
- Encyclopedia of Visual Arts (Enciklopedija likovnih umjetnosti) – in 4 volumes (1959–66)
- Encyclopedia of Technical Science (Tehnička enciklopedija) – in 13 volumes (1963–97)
- Encyclopedia of Medicine (Medicinska enciklopedija) – in 6 volumes (1967–70)
- General Encyclopedia (Opća enciklopedija) – 1st ed. in 10 volumes (1955–64); 2nd ed. in 6 volumes (1966–69); 3rd ed. in 8 volumes (1977–82) with a supplemental 9th volume published in 1988
- Encyclopedia of Forestry (Šumarska enciklopedija) – in 3 volumes (1980–87)
- Croatian Biographical Lexicon (Hrvatski biografski leksikon) – work in progress, 8 volumes published 1983–2013
- Yugoslav Music Lexicon (Leksikon jugoslavenske muzike) – in 2 volumes (1984)
- Encyclopedia of Film (Filmska enciklopedija) – 2 volumes (1986–90)
- Bibliography of Treatises, Articles and Literary Works (Bibliografija rasprava, članaka i književnih radova) – in 14 volumes (1956–86)
- Croatian Encyclopedia (Hrvatska enciklopedija) – in 11 volumes (1999–2009)
Some other Yugoslav reference works are:
- Military Encyclopedia (Vojna enciklopedija) – 1st ed. in 11 volumes (1958–69); 2nd ed. in 11 volumes (1970–76)
- Small Universal Encyclopedia (Mala splošna enciklopedija) – in Slovenian, published in 3 volumes (1973–76)
- Encyclopedia of Slovenia (Enciklopedija Slovenije) – in Slovenian, in 16 volumes (1987–2002)
All works are in Croatian or Serbian language, unless stated otherwise.
It runs several major projects relating to the Croatian language, as well as history and culture. These include:
- the Croatian Encyclopedia
- the Croatian Biographical Lexicon
- the Croatian Literary Encyclopedia
- a Croatian thesaurus
- a world atlas
- a technical lexicon
- a legal lexicon
- Jelavich, Charles (June 1962). "The Importance of the Leksikografski Zavod to the Scholar". Slavic Review. 21 (2): 330–335. doi:10.2307/3000636. ISSN 0037-6779. JSTOR 3000636.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Jugoslavenski leksikografski zavod "Miroslav Krleža"". Enciklopedija Jugoslavije VI (in Croatian) (2nd ed.). Zagreb: Jugoslavenski leksikografski zavod "Miroslav Krleža". 1990.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
Enciklopedija - opća i nacionalna, u 20 knjiga (LZMK).jpg
Opca enciklopedija JLZ.jpg
Hrvatska enciklopedija pet svezaka.jpg
- Official website(Croatian)
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.