Mount Morgan (Inyo County, California)
Morgan seen from Little Lakes Valley
|Elevation||13,758 ft (4,193 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||2,628 ft (801 m) |
|Parent peak||Mount Humphreys|
|Listing||Sierra Peaks Section|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. |
|Location||Inyo County, California, U.S.|
|Parent range||Sierra Nevada|
|Topo map||USGS Mount Morgan|
|First ascent||About 1870 by the Wheeler Survey party|
|Easiest route||Scramble, class 2|
Morgan stands within the endorheic watershed of Owens Lake, now a mostly dry lake since its main source of water, the Owens River, was diverted to supply Los Angeles. The west and north sides of Mt. Morgan drain into Rock Creek, thence into the Owens River. The east and south sides of Morgan drain into Morgan Creek, thence into Pine Creek, and into lower Rock Creek.
Morgan can be accessed by trail from Rock Creek Canyon, above Tom's Place on 395. Its trailhead is at the far end of the lake. The trail is well marked the first 4 miles (6.4 km) to Francis Lake, where it ends. From there it is a scramble up rocky slopes for 2 miles (3.2 km) to the summit.
- List of mountain peaks of North America
- "Mount Morgan". ListsOfJohn.com. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
- "Sierra Peaks Section List" (PDF). Angeles Chapter, Sierra Club.
- "Morgan". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey.
- "Mount Morgan, California". Peakbagger.com.
- Roper, Steve (1976). The Climber's Guide to the High Sierra. San Francisco: Sierra Club Books. p. 341. ISBN 9780871561473.
- "Lake Francis Trail". SummitPost.org.
- Gudde, Erwin G. (1949). California Place Names. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press. p. 224.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Definitions from Wiktionary|
|Media from Commons|
|News stories from Wikinews|
|Quotations from Wikiquote|
|Source texts from Wikisource|
|Textbooks from Wikibooks|
|Learning resources from Wikiversity|
- "Mount Morgan". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Mount Morgan (S)". SummitPost.org. Retrieved 2012-04-01.
|This Inyo County, California-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|