|Central bank||Central Bank of Nigeria|
|Coins||½, 1, 3, 6 pence 1, 2 shillings|
|Banknotes||5/-, 10/-, £1, £5|
This infobox shows the latest status before this currency was rendered obsolete.
The pound was the currency of Nigeria between 1907 and 1973. Until 1958, Nigeria used the British West African pound, after which it issued its own currency. The pound was subdivided into 20 shillings, each of 12 pence. The Nigerian pound (which was at parity with the British pound with easy convertibility) was replaced with the introduction in 1973 of the decimal naira at a rate of 1 pound = 2 naira. This made Nigeria the last country to abandon the £sd currency system.
Coins were issued in 1959 in denominations of ½, 1, 3 and 6 pence, 1 and 2 shillings. The ½ and 1 penny coins were bronze and holed. The 3 pence coin, minted in nickel-brass, was a smaller version of the distinctive twelve sided threepenny bits that were used in the UK, Fiji, and Jersey. The higher denominations were struck in cupro-nickel.
In 1918, emergency issues were made by the government in denominations of 1, 10 and 20 shillings. In 1959, the Central Bank of Nigeria introduced notes in denominations of 5 and 10 shillings, 1 and 5 pounds. Three series of notes were issued, in 1958, 1967 and 1968.
- Central Bank of Nigeria. "The Foreign Exchange Market in Nigeria". Retrieved 2007-05-21.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Central Bank of Nigeria. "http://www.cenbank.org/HistoryFactsAll.asp?sign=2". Retrieved 2007-05-21. External link in
- Central Bank of Nigeria Retrieved 2011-03-30.
- Krause, Chester L., and Clifford Mishler (1991). Standard Catalog of World Coins: 1801–1991 (18th ed.). Krause Publications. ISBN 0873411501. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Pick, Albert (1994). Standard Catalog of World Paper Money: General Issues. Colin R. Bruce II and Neil Shafer (editors) (7th ed.). Krause Publications. ISBN 0-87341-207-9.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This Nigeria-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This article about a unit of currency is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|