Rugby Americas North
|Headquarters||Tortola, British Virgin Islands|
Rugby Americas North, abbreviated as RAN, is the governing body for rugby union in the North American continental region. Rugby Americas North operates under the authority of World Rugby, and is one of six regional unions represented within it.
Prior to 2016, the organisation was known as NACRA – the North America Caribbean Rugby Association. The preceding body before 2001 was NAWIRA – the North America and West Indies Rugby Association.
The main objective of RAN is the promotion and development of rugby in North America and the Caribbean. The association unveiled a four-year plan during the 2011 Annual General Meeting to grow rugby within its membership unions through promotion, media output and competition.
World Rugby's 28 member executive council includes one seat for a RAN representative and one seat for Canada. By contrast to RAN's two votes on the World Rugby executive council, European countries have thirteen votes.
RAN oversees regional competitions, such as regional qualifiers for Pan Am Games and Rugby World Cups including:
RAN is governed by a board of five executives. The USA, Canada and Mexico are fixed representatives, while the Caribbean countries elect two nations for delegation.
This section requires expansion with: updated office holders. (April 2016)
As of 2010, countries within North America account for 128,828 rugby players, with the largest number of players from:
- United States (88,151)
- Canada (23,853)
- Trinidad and Tobago (5,060)
- Mexico (3,454)
RAN has 15 member unions and four affiliate unions, not all which are members of World Rugby (WR). RAN's members are listed below with the year each union joined World Rugby shown in brackets where applicable. World Rugby associates are shown in italics.
There are 11 World Rugby members, and 2 World Rugby associates:
Two members of RAN have no affiliation with World Rugby:
Four unions in the Americas are affiliates:
* Denotes World Rugby associate membership date.
- Learning More About NACRA. Rugby Canada,18 July 2012.[dead link]
- "Year in Review" (PDF). IRB. 2010. p. 10.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Affiliated Unions". NACRA. 2011. Archived from the original on 4 July 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Handbook" (PDF). World Rugby. 2014. pp. 16–10. Retrieved 28 January 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Committee". Guadeloupe Rugby. Retrieved 31 January 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>