The lead section of this article may need to be rewritten. (February 2014)
|PR Newswire logo|
|Traded as||LSE: UBM|
|Headquarters||350 Hudson Street, Suite 300
New York, NY 10014-4504
PR Newswire was founded in 1954. In 1971, it was sold to Western Union, which had provided the telecommunications lines and teleprinters that supported the service. In 1972, PR Newswire began using electronic terminals for copyediting. In 1978, the company adopted the Associated Press' computerized message handling and transmission system.
In 2000 the company acquired eWatch, founded in 1995 as an automated service to monitor websites, chat rooms, Usenet groups, web publications, online service forums and investor message boards for mentions of a specific organization, issue, product or service.
In 2001, PR Newswire issued the first Multimedia News Release for Touchstone Pictures promoting the film, "Pearl Harbor." The Multimedia News Release was the first press release to include b-roll, soundbites, high resolution images, and film trailer.
In mid-2009, PR Newswire acquired The Fuel Team.
The largest competitor to PR Newswire is Business Wire.
On Decemeber 15th 2015, PR Newswire was sold to global media intelligence company, Cision, for 841 million dollars (USD). The transaction, which requires approval by the shareholders of UBM plc as well as regulatory approvals, is expected to close late in the first quarter of 2016.
- "Worldwide Offices - New York Headquarters". PR Newswire Association LLC. Retrieved July 20, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "About PR Newswire". PR Newswire. Retrieved 27 November 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Herbert Muschel, 85, Founder Of Service for Corporate News", New York Times, November 5, 2003. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- UBM, Media Briefing. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- Touchstone Pictures' "Pearl Harbor" Premieres Archived August 23, 2002 at the Wayback Machine
- "PR Newswire Acquires Leading Online News Room Hosting Company, The Fuel Team". PR Newswire. July 31, 2009. Retrieved April 3, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "UBM plc Annual Report and Accounts 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 28 May 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- No URL found. Please specify a URL here or add one to Wikidata.