Sitting volleyball (sometimes known as paralympic volleyball) is a form of volleyball for disabled athletes entered the Paralympic Games as a demonstration sport for amputees in 1976 in Toronto, Canada and played as a medal sport thereafter.
In sitting volleyball, a 0.8 meter-wide net is set at 1.15 meters high for men and 1.05 meters high for women. The court is 10 x 6 meters with a 2-meter attack line. Players must have at least one buttock in contact with the floor whenever they make contact with the ball. It is also possible to block the serve and jousts are generally replayed. Athletes with the following disabilities are eligible to compete in sitting volleyball: amputees, spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy, brain injuries and stroke. There are no athlete classifications by disability.
At the 2012 Summer Paralympics the men's competition was won by Bosnia and Herzegovina and the gold medal in the women's contest went to the People's Republic of China. Other major championships include Zonal Championships in Europe, America, Asia South Pacific, and Africa.
- Pieter Joon
- Volleyball variations
- Volleyball at the Summer Paralympics
- Sitting volleyball classification
- Ng, Kwok (2012). When Sitting is Not Resting: Sitting Volleyball. Bloomington, IL: Authorhouse. p. 152. ISBN 978-1-4772-1789-4.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Medal Quest (PBS): Sitting Volleyball (2008)". Retrieved 2012-06-12.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Sitting Volleyball - Medals". london2012.com. Retrieved 9 September 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Sitting Volleyball Results". sittingvolleyball.net. Retrieved 10 April 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sitting volleyball.|
- World ParaVolley
- Sitting volleyball on International Paralympic Committee website
- Beijing 2008 Paralympic Sitting Volleyball Information with an Australian slant from accessibility.com.au - includes nomination criteria for the 2008 Australian Paralympic Volleyball squad.