Pope Adrian III
|Papacy began||17 May 884|
|Papacy ended||8 July 885|
Rome, Papal States
|Died||8 July 885
Modena, Carolingian Empire
|Feast day||8 July|
|Canonized||2 June 1891
Rome, Kingdom of Italy
by Pope Leo XIII
|Other popes named Adrian|
|Papal styles of
Pope Adrian III
|Reference style||His Holiness|
|Spoken style||Your Holiness|
|Religious style||Holy Father|
He was born at Rome. He died in July 885 at San Cesario sul Panaro (Modena) not long after embarking on a trip to Worms, in modern Germany. The purpose the journey was to attend an Imperial Diet after being summoned by the Frankish King Charles III, the Fat, to settle the succession to the Holy Roman Empire and discuss the rising power of the Saracens. He is also known to have written a letter condemning the Christians of both Muslim-ruled and Christian-ruled parts of Spain for being too friendly with the Jews in these lands.
His cult was confirmed in 1891, and his feast day is 8 July.
His death and subsequent burial in the church of San Silvestro Nonantola Abbey near Modena is commemorated in the sculpted reliefs (c. 1122) that frame the doorway of this church. His relics are found near the high altar here.
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). "Pope St. Adrian III". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Richard P. McBrien, Lives of the Popes: The Pontiffs from St. Peter to John Paul II, (HarperCollins, 2000), 143.
- Bernard S. Bachrach (1 Jan 1977). Early Medieval Jewish Policy in Western Europe (reprint ed.). U of Minnesota Press. p. 190. ISBN 9780816608140.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Hadrian III, Francois Bougard, The Papacy: An Encyclopedia, Vol.2, ed. Philippe Levillain, (Routledge, 2002), 682
- Hadrian III, Francois Bougard, The Papacy: An Encyclopedia, Vol.2, 682.
- 9th edition (1880s) of the Encyclopædia Britannica
|Catholic Church titles|
|This biography of a Catholic Pope or a claimant to the papacy is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|