Pritzker School of Medicine
|University of Chicago|
|Dean||Kenneth S. Polonsky, MD|
|Location||Chicago, IL, USA|
The Pritzker School of Medicine is the M.D. granting unit of the Biological Sciences Division of the University of Chicago. It is located on the University's main campus in the historic Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, and matriculated its first class in 1927.
Interest in opening a medical school at the University of Chicago began in 1898 when the University became temporarily affiliated with Rush Medical College while Chicago endeavored to establish funds for the construction of a medical school. In 1916, the University Board of Trustees set aside $5.3 million for its development, however World War I would delay its construction until 1921. With construction complete in 1927, the school matriculated its first class of medical students. Following a $16 million gift from the Pritzker family of Chicago (founders of the Hyatt hotel group) to the University of Chicago, the School of Medicine was renamed in their honor in 1968.
Pritzker was the first medical school to hold the now international tradition of the white coat ceremony in 1989, which celebrates the students' transition and commitment to a lifelong career as a physician.
For the Class of 2017, 5670 people applied and 604 interviewed for 88 spots in the class. Accepted applicants had a median GPA of 3.87 and median MCAT score of 37.
The Pritzker School of Medicine offers the Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) degree. Notably, 20% of Pritzker students are involved in a combined degree program with another division on campus, such as the M.D./Masters of Arts (A.M.) degree from the School of Social Service Administration or the M.D./Masters of Business Administration (MBA) from the Booth School of Business.
According to the April 2015 print issue of Discover magazine (volume 36, number 3), it is the home to the Sleep, Metabolism, and Health Center in the Department of Medicine, directed by Eve Van Cauter.
- "Best Medical Schools: Research". U.S. News & World Report. U.S. News & World Report. 9 March 2015. Retrieved 16 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "A Brief History of the University of Chicago Medicine". The University Of Chicago Medicine. University of Chicago School of Medicine. Retrieved 16 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Philanthropist A.n. Pritzker". Chicago Tribune. 1986-02-10.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Warren, Peter M. (1999-10-18). "For New Medical Students, White Coats Are a Warmup". Los Angeles Times.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "MD/MBA Program". University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. University of Chicago. Retrieved 16 September 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "NorthShore University HealthSystem and University of Chicago's Pritzker School of Medicine Create a New Academic Affiliation". 14 July 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-02.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>