Proceedings of the USSR Academy of Sciences
The Proceedings of the USSR Academy of Sciences (Russian: Доклады Академии Наук СССР, Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (DAN SSSR), French: ''Comptes rendus de l'Académie des sciences de l'URSS'') was a Soviet journal that was dedicated to publishing original, academic research papers in physics, mathematics, chemistry, geology, and biology. It was first published in 1933 and ended in 1992 with volume 322, issue 3.
Today, it is continued by Doklady Akademii Nauk (Russian: Доклады Академии Наук), which began publication in 1992. The journal is also known as the Proceedings of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS).
Doklady has had a complicated publication and translation history. A number of translation journals exist which publish selected articles from the original by subject section; these are listed below.
- 1 History
- 2 Translations
- 2.1 Translation journal titles and their Doklady subject sections
- 2.1.1 Doklady Biochemistry (Biochemistry)
- 2.1.2 Doklady Biochemistry and Biophysics
- 2.1.3 Doklady. Botanical Sciences Sections
- 2.1.4 Doklady Chemical Technology
- 2.1.5 Doklady Chemistry
- 2.1.6 Doklady of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Earth Sciences Sections
- 2.1.7 Doklady. Earth Science Sections
- 2.1.8 Transactions (Doklady) of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Earth Science Sections
- 2.1.9 Doklady Earth Sciences
- 2.1.10 Soviet Mathematics
- 2.1.11 Soviet Mathematics - Doklady
- 2.1.12 Doklady Mathematics
- 2.1.13 Doklady Physical Chemistry
- 2.1.14 Doklady Physics
- 2.1.15 Doklady Soil Science
- 2.1 Translation journal titles and their Doklady subject sections
- 3 Footnotes
- 4 References
Doklady Akademiia Nauk SSSR-Comptes rendus de l'Académie des Sciences de l'URSS, Seriya A first appeared in 1925 publishing original, academic research papers in the sciences, mathematics and technology in Russian or very occasionally in English, French or German.
Novaia Seriya replaced Seriya A in 1933, with articles published in Russian and immediately followed by a translation into English, French, or German.
In 1935, with v.3(8), Comptes rendus (Doklady) de l'Académie des sciences de l'URSS was split off as a separate journal that continued publishing corresponding Doklady translations until 1947, when it ceased publication. The change in volume numbering with 1935, v.3(8) virtually renumbered: 1933; 1934, v.1-4; and 1935, v.1-2, to: v. 1, 1933; v.2-5, 1934; and v.6-7, 1935.
Doklady Akademiia Nauk SSSR continued publication until 1992, when it changed title to Doklady Akademiia Nauk.
Some Comptes Rendus (Doklady)... articles also appear to have been published in European journals, and Reaxys/Beilstein and Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft (Chemische Berichte), Web of Science, Chemical Abstracts (SciFinder) and "Doklady" all use different transliteration schemes. An excellent review of the multiplicity of national/international transliteration schemes is given by Hoseh.
This section possibly contains original research. (October 2014)
SciFinder incorrectly assigned Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya A to articles published between 1933-1935, v.2 in Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR and to articles published between 1935, v.3(8) to v.56(2), 1947 in Comptes rendus (Doklady) de l'Académie des Sciences de l'URSS. The print Chemical Abstracts provides the correct journal title. Scifinder records for articles published in 1935, v.3(8), 1935 are inconsistently shown as either v.3 or v.8. SciFinder records also do not consistently provide both the Russian and English, French or German pagination for the 1933-1935, v.2 articles.
Web of Science adds a further complication by incorrectly omitting (Doklady) from the journal title, while Reaxys/Beilstein incorrectly gives Chemische Berichte as the journal title for articles appearing in Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft.
Records in SciFinder and INSPEC for articles published in 1933; 1934, v.1-4; and 1935, v.1-2, are shown in Web of Science as v.1, 1933 – v.7, 1935, because the Web of Science records were indexed for the Century of Science from library volumes that had been subsequently renumbered by the cooperating library.
English translations of "Doklady" articles began again in 1956, when the American Institute of Physics began publishing Soviet Physics - Doklady. Other publications soon followed and within a few years most Doklady subject sections were available in English translation.
Doklady translation journals are as of 2013 published by Pleiades Publishing, Ltd and distributed online by Springer Science+Business Media. The online translation journals now only publish "selected" articles from the original Russian language journal, which is also available online from 2006.
Determining the appropriate English translation journal for articles published in ‘Doklady’ is often problematic.
One approach is to check the Russian Doklady issue contents page to identify the subject section and then determine in which translation journal the article was published. The translation journal’s contents pages will provide a concordance linking the ‘Doklady’ page numbers with the ‘translation journal’ page numbers.
Another approach is to search SciFinder for the original article, which may show the Doklady subject section, since Chemical Abstracts only indexed the original Russian language articles until 1995.
Translation journal titles and their Doklady subject sections
Several journals of translations exist, each containing articles that pertain to a particular subject.
Doklady Biochemistry (Biochemistry)
Incorporated into Doklady Biochemistry & Biophysics.
Doklady Biochemistry and Biophysics
Doklady. Botanical Sciences Sections
Its first issue, Jan/Jun 1964, through to the June 1965 issue was called Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Botanical Sciences Sections and was published by Consultants Bureau Enterprises. Afterward it was published by Consultants Bureau as Doklady. Botanical Sciences Sections (ISSN 0012-4982).
Note that volumes 142-153 (1962–1963) were also called Doklady. Biological Sciences Sections.
Doklady Chemical Technology
Chemical Technology. Incorporated into Doklady Chemistry.
Doklady of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Earth Sciences Sections
This journal, also called Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Geological Sciences Sections and Proceedings of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR. Geochemistry Sections, was published bimonthly as ISSN 0012-494X. Its first issue, Jan/Feb 1959, through to the July/Aug 1959 issue, was published by Consultants Bureau. The Sept/Oct 1959 to Nov/Dec 1961 issues were published by Consultants Bureau Enterprises. Scripta Technica, Inc then published it from 1962 to 1966. Finally, the American Geological Institute published it from 1967 to 1972.
Doklady. Earth Science Sections
Transactions (Doklady) of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Earth Science Sections
Doklady Earth Sciences
Covers geochemistry, geography, geology, geophysics, hydrogeology, lithology, mineralogy, paleontology, petrography, oceanology, soil science.
This was published by the American Mathematical Society as ISSN 0038-5573. It contained translations of the mathematics sections of volumes 130-220 (1960-early 1975).
Soviet Mathematics - Doklady
This was published by the American Mathematical Society as ISSN 0197-6788. It first appeared in 1979 as volume 20, and ceased in 1992 with volume 45, issue 1. The journal contained translations of the mathematics sections of volumes 244–322 of DAN SSSR (1979–end).
Doklady Physical Chemistry
Covers physical chemistry.
Doklady Physics covers aerodynamics, astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, crystallography, cybernetics and control theory, fluid mechanics, heat engineering, hydraulics, mathematical physics, mechanics, physics, power engineering, technical physics, theory of elasticity.
Doklady Soil Science
Incorporated into Doklady Earth Sciences.
- ISSN 0002-3264
- Doklady Akademiia Nauk homepage (ISSN 0869-5652)
- Scholarly Societies Project. Российская Академия Наук [Rossijskaâ Akademiâ Nauk]. (Russian Academy of Sciences). http://www.scholarly-societies.org/history/1724ian.html
- For instance, Underground Gasification of Coal by the Percolation Method Chukhanov, Z. F. Comptes rendus (Doklady) de l'Académie des sciences de l'URSS 1947. Volume LVI, No. 1, 45-48.; Подземная Газификация методом фильтрации Чуханов, З. Ф. Доклады Академии Наук СССР 1947. Tom LVI, No 1, 43-46.
- Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index. 1907-1999 Cumulative. v.1, lists:
- Doklady Rossijskoj Akademii Nauk. Seriya A, 1922-1925 (0366-9602)
- Doklady Akademiia Nauk SSSR. Seriya A, 1925-1933 (0366-8630).
- Doklady Akademiia Nauk SSSR,1933-1992 (0002-3264)
- Comptes rendus (Doklady) de l'Académie des Sciences de l'URSS, 1935-1947 (0366-788X)
- Doklady Akademiia Nauk, 1992+ (0869-5652)
- For instance:
- On the Alkaloids of the Leaves of Jaborandi. VI. Synthesis of Racem-Homopilopic Acid Preobrazenskij, N. A.; Poliakova, A. M.; Preobrazenskij, V. A. Comptes rendus (Doklady) de l'Académie des sciences de l'URSS 1935. Volume III(VIII), no 4 (64), 165-168.
- ОБ АЛКАЛОИДАХ ЛИСТЬЕВ JABORANDI. VI. СИНТЕЗ RACEM-ГОМОПИЛОПОВОЙ КИСЛОТЫ, Преображенский Н.А., Полякова, А. М.; Преображенский, В. А., Доклады Академии Наук СССР, 1935. Tom III(VIII), No 4, 165-168.
- Über die Alkaloide der Jaborandi-Blätter. VI. … Die Synthese der racem. Homo-pilopsäure, N. A. Preobrashenski, A. M. Poljakowa and W. A. Preobrashenski, Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft (1935), 68(5), 844-7.
- (SciFinder) Alkaloids of jaborandi leaves. VI. Synthesis of dl-homopilopic acid, Preobrazhenskii, N. A.; Polyakova, A. M.; Preobrazhenskii, V. A., Berichte der Deutschen Chemischen Gesellschaft (1935), 68B, 844-7.
- (Web of Science) On the alkaloids of the leaves of jaborandi VI, Preobrazenskij, NA; Poliakova, AM; Preobrazenskij, VA, COMPTES RENDUS DE L ACADEMIE DES SCIENCES DE L URSS Volume: 8 Pages: 165-168 Published: JUL-SEP 1935
- (Reaxys/Beilstein), Preobrashenski et al., Chemische Berichte, Volume 68, Publication Year 1935, Pages 844
- M. Hoseh (1954). "Pitfalls of Transliteration in Indexing and Searching". Literature Resources for Chemical Process Industries. Advances in Chemistry. 10. pp. 541–547.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- For example, see these comparison records:
- Title: Permutation degeneration in vector models of atoms; Author: Markov, M.; Source: Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya A (1935), 8, 103-4.
- Title: Absorption spectrum of lead vapor in the Schumann region; Author: Kremenevskii, N. V.; Source: Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR, Seriya A (1935), 3, 251-2.
- Web of Science
- Title: Permutation degeneration in the vector models of atoms; Author(s): Markov, M; Source: COMPTES RENDUS DE L ACADEMIE DES SCIENCES DE L URSS Vol: 8 Pages: 103-104 Published: JUL-SEP 1935
- Title: The absorption spectrum of lead vapour in Schumann's region; Author(s): Kremenevskij, NV; Source: COMPTES RENDUS DE L ACADEMIE DES SCIENCES DE L URSS Vol: 8 Pages: 251-252 Published: JUL-SEP 1935
- Title: Permutation degeneracy in the vector model of the atom; Author(s): Markov, M.; Source: Comptes Rendus (Doklady) de l'Academie des Sciences de l'URSS Volume: 3 Issue: 3 Pages: 103-104 Published: 1935
- Title: Absorption spectrum of lead vapour in the Schumann region; Author(s): Kremenevskij, N.V.; Source: Comptes Rendus (Doklady) de l'Academie des Sciences de l'URSS Volume: 3 Issue: 6 Pages: 251-252 Published: 1935
- Century of Science. http://wokinfo.com/products_tools/backfiles/cos/
- Doklady Akademiia Nauk (0869-5652). http://www.maik.ru/cgi-perl/journal.pl?name=dan&lang=eng
- Oxidation of carbon monoxide in acetic acid; Moiseev, I. I.; Vargaftik, M. N.; Gentosh, O. I.; et al.; Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR (1977), 237(3), 645-7 [Phys. Chem.].; Language: Russian, Database: CAPLUS
- "This was a policy based on timeliness (the translations appeared months after the originals) and completeness (the translations were not always complete, and contained unexplained gaps: letters, short communications and editorial matter were often not translated). After 1995 CAS began to index selected translation titles instead." http://188.8.131.52/siocl/Chemistry%20Library/journals.html
- A listing of each journal’s current subject coverage is given at: http://www.maik.rssi.ru/cgi-perl/journals.cgi?lang=eng&action=alphabet. A definitive cross reference listing, published in 1965, is given at: http://library.caltech.edu/reference/Doklady_an_SSSR.pdf
- 1964-2000 http://clas.caltech.edu/record=b1250157~S0; 1962-63 s; 1958-62 http://clas.caltech.edu/record=b1250156~S0
- 2000+ http://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/10628
- SIRIS' catalog page
- 2000 http://link.springer.com/journal/volumesAndIssues/10632; 1991-2000 https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/catalog/bib_965033; 1963-1991 https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/catalog/bib_2674441
- Doklady Chemistry homepage
- 2000+ http://link.springer.com/journal/10631; 1956-2000 http://clas.caltech.edu/record=b1058466~S0
- Smithsonian Institution Research Information System's catalog page
- SIRIS' catalog page
- SIRIS' catalog page
- Doklady Earth Sciences homepage; 2000+ ; 1998-2000 ; 1994-1997 ; 1986-1994 ; 1974-1985 ; 1960-1973 
- "Soviet Mathematics. Doklady". Retrieved 2009-11-18.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Doklady Mathematics homepage; 2006+: ; 1993+: ; 1979-1992: ; 1960-1978: 
- Doklady Physical Chemistry homepage; 2000+ ; 1963+: ; 1957-62: 
- Doklady Physics homepage; 2006+: ; 1998+: ; 1993-1997: ; 1956-1992: 
- 1961-1968: