|Look up pronunciation in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Pronunciation is the way a word or a language is spoken, or the manner in which someone utters a word. If one is said to have "correct pronunciation", then it refers to both within a particular dialect.
A word can be spoken in different ways by various individuals or groups, depending on many factors, such as: the duration of the cultural exposure of their childhood, the location of their current residence, speech or voice disorders, their ethnic group, their social class, or their education.
Syllables are counted as units of sound (phones) that they use in their language. The branch of linguistics which studies these units of sound is phonetics. Phones which play the same role are grouped together into classes called phonemes; the study of these is phonemics or phonematics or phonology. Phones as components of articulation are usually described using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA).
- Help:IPA for English — the principal key used in Wikipedia articles to transcribe the pronunciation of English words
- Wikipedia:Pronunciation respelling key — a secondary key for pronunciation, which mimics English orthography
- Wikipedia:United States dictionary transcription — another secondary key, more familiar to users of traditional US dictionaries
- Wiktionary:Pronunciation - entries in the English Wiktionary may contain a Pronunciation section
- Beech, John R.; Harding, Leonora; Hilton-Jones, Diana (1993). Assessment in speech and language therapy. CUP Archive. p. 55. ISBN 0-415-07882-2.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Labov, William (2003). "Some Sociolinguistic Principles". In Paulston, Christina Bratt; Tucker, G. Richard (ed.). Sociolinguistics: the essential readings. Wiley-Blackwell. pp. 234–250. ISBN 0-631-22717-2.CS1 maint: multiple names: editors list (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Schultz, Tanja; Kirchhoff, Katrin (2008). Multilingual speech processing. Academic Press. p. 12. ISBN 0-12-088501-8.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.|Script error: The function "getCommonsLink" does not exist.]].|
|This phonetics article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|