It is generally held that the earliest music in the Christian Church came from Jewish worship music. It is believed that this music lay somewhere between singing and speaking, or speaking with an understood ritual cadence. However, there is another opinion that the roots of early Christian music come from the early ascetic monastic orders.
Hindu music is music created for or influenced by Hinduism.
The earliest synagogal music was based on the same system as that in the Temple in Jerusalem. According to the Talmud, Joshua ben Hananiah, who had served in the sanctuary Levitical choir, told how the choristers went to the synagogue from the orchestra by the altar (Talmud, Suk. 53a), and so participated in both services.
Shintō music (神楽) is ceremonial music for Shinto (神道) which is the native religion of Japan.
Buddhist music is music for Buddhist ceremony or meditation.
- Church music
- Gospel music
- Liturgical music
- Music and politics
- Secular music
- Spiritual (music)
- World Sacred Music Festival
- Foley 2008,[page needed].
- Taruskin and Gibbs 2013, p. 9.
- Foley, Edward (2008). From Age to Age: How Christians have celebrated the Eucharist. Liturgical Press; Collegeville. ISBN 978-0-8146-3078-5.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Taruskin, Richard; Christopher Gibbs (2013). The Oxford History of Western Music (College ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[full citation needed]
- Fertonani, Cesare; Raffaele Mellace; Cesare Toscani, eds. (2014). La Musica Sacra nella Milano del Settecento. Atti del convegno internazionale. Milano, 17-18 maggio 2011. Cantar sottile 3. Milan: LED Edizioni Universitaire. ISBN 978-88-7916-658-4.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Gregorian chant, liturgical music (CD, scores, learning)
- The Gregorian chant of the abbeys of Provence in France (fr. with Translator)
- New England religious music
- Hibba's Web Anthology of Traditional Jewish Music