Richard Paolinelli is an American author of science fiction, mystery-thriller and historical sports non-fiction books. He is also a former comic book writer and a long-time sports journalist. On August 3, 2017 he was named as a DragonCon Dragon Awards finalist for Best Sci-Fi Novel for Escaping Infinity.
Richard Paolinelli was born in Turlock, California in 1964.
Early Writing Career
Richard Paolinelli began his writing career as a freelance writer in 1984 in Odessa, Texas and gained his first fiction credit serving as the lead writer for the first two issues of the Elite Comics sci-fi/fantasy series, Seadragon.
In 1991 Richard Paolinelli began his sports writing career at the Gallup Independent before moving on to work for the Modesto Bee, Turlock Journal (his hometown newspaper), Merced Sun-Star, Tracy Press, San Mateo County Times and the San Francisco Examiner. He also served as an editor and photographer with some of the newspapers. He won the 2001 California Newspaper Publishers Association award for Best Sports Story while at the Turlock Journal.
In 2010, Richard retired as a sportswriter/editor/photographer and decided to return to his fiction writing roots. He released two short stories - The Invited and Legacy of Death - as well as a full-length sci-fi novel, Maelstrom. In 2015, Richard completed nearly two years of research and interviews and published, From The Fields: A History of Prep Football in Turlock, California, chronicling 95 years of high school football in his hometown. One month later, the first book of the Jack Del Rio series, Reservations, was published by Oak Tree Press and later taken on by Argus Books.
In 2016, Richard was one of a dozen authors selected to participate in, Beyond Watson, an anthology of original Sherlock Holmes stories and was one of 20 writers involved in a second Holmes Anthology, Holmes Away From Home, released in December. Perfection's Arbiter, a biography of National League Umpire, Babe Pinelli, was released on October 8th. W & B Books acquired the Jack Del Rio series and released the second book, Betrayals, in November. The remaining two books in the Jack Del Rio series will follow in 2017 & 2018.
In January of 2017, Richard returned to his science fiction roots with the release of the novel, Escaping Infinity. He released Endgames in October of 2017, had a story published in the Belanger Books anthology, Sherlock Holmes in the Realms of H.G. Wells on Dec. 7, 2017 and ended the year by releasing, A Zombie Christmas Carol on Dec. 24th.
Science Fiction & Fantasy Creators Guild
Richard Paolinelli founded the Science Fiction & Fantasy Creators Guild in mid-January 2018. The Guild's official website is www.sffcguild.com and is slated to begin accepting membership applications sometime in February 2018.
- Maelstrom, published by Tuscany Bay Books (2014)
- Reservations (Jack Del Rio Book 1), published by Tuscany Bay Books (2017)
- Betrayals (Jack Del Rio Book 2), published by Tuscany Bay Books (2017)
- Escaping Infinity, published by Tuscany Bay Books (2017)
- Endgames (Jack Del Rio Book 3), published by Tuscany Bay Books (2017)
- The Last Lonely Trail, with Jim Christina, published by Tuscany Bay Books (2018)
- "The Invited", published by Tuscany Bay Publishing (2014)
- "Legacy of Death", published by Tuscany Bay Publishing (2014)
- "A Zombie Christmas Carol", self-published (2017)
- "From The Fields: A History of Prep Football in Turlock, California," published by Tuscany Bay Publishing (2015)
- "Perfection's Arbiter: The Story of Babe Pinelli," published by Tuscany Bay Publishing (2016)
- "Beyond Watson: A Sherlock Holmes Anthology Of Stories Not Told By Dr. John Watson," A Lesson In Mercy, published by Belanger books (2015)
- "Holmes Away From Home, Vol II: Adventures From The Great Hiatus," The Woman Returns, published by Belanger Books (2016)
- "Sherlock Holmes In The Realm Of H.G. Wells," The Misplaced Mystery Writer, published by Belanger Books (2017)
- "Secret Stairs," Nothing Ever Happens Here, published by Silver Empire (2018)
- "My Peculiar Family 2," Spinster's Manor, published by Sci-Fi Saturday Night & Belanger Books (2018)
2001 California Newspaper Publishers Association - First Place - Best Sports Story
2017 DragonCon Dragon Awards Finalist - Best Sci-Fi Novel (Escaping Infinity)
2017 Readers' Favorite International Book Awards - Best Sci-Fi Novel / Honorable Mention (Escaping Infinity)
2017 New Apple Summer E-book Awards - Best Sci-Fi Novel / Official Selection (Escaping Infinity)
2017 ETWG Blue Ribbon Book Cover Contest - Second Place (Escaping Infinity)