Ridley Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
|Ridley Township, Pennsylvania|
|Elevation||102 ft (31.1 m)|
|Coordinates||Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Area||5.3 sq mi (13.7 km2)|
|- land||5.1 sq mi (13 km2)|
|- water||0.2 sq mi (1 km2), 3.77%|
|Density||6,010.9 / sq mi (2,320.8 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1216390|
Students residing within the district generally attend schools within the Ridley School District, although there are several Catholic schools (operated by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia) located in the township as well.
Ridley Township is in southeastern Delaware County, northeast of Chester and southeast of Media, the county seat. The borough of Rutledge is in the northern part of the township but is a separate municipality. The unincorporated communities of Folsom and Woodlyn occupy the central and western parts of the township, respectively.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 5.3 square miles (13.8 km2), of which 5.1 square miles (13.3 km2) is land and 0.19 square miles (0.5 km2), or 3.61%, is water. Most of the water area is in the Delaware River in the southernmost part of the township.
- Springfield Township, Delaware County - north
- Upper Darby Township, Delaware County - northeast
- Darby Township, Delaware County - east
- Glenolden Borough, Delaware County - east
- Norwood Borough, Delaware County - east
- Prospect Park Borough, Delaware County - east
- Ridley Park Borough, Delaware County - surrounded on three sides by Ridley Township
- Tinicum Township, Delaware County - south
- Greenwich Township, Gloucester County, New Jersey - south
- Eddystone Borough, Delaware County - south
- City of Chester, Delaware County - southwest
- Nether Providence Township, Delaware County - southwest
- Swarthmore Borough, Delaware County - northwest
- Rutledge Borough, Delaware County - completely surrounded by Ridley Township
As of the census of 2000, there were 30,791 people, 12,121 households, and 8,218 families residing in the township. The population density was 6,075.9 people per square mile (2,344.9/km²). There were 12,544 housing units at an average density of 2,475.3/sq mi (955.3/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.97% White, 0.26% African American, 0.07% Native American, 1.64% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.92% of the population.
There were 12,121 households, out of which 30.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.3% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.2% were non-families. 28.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.14.
In the township the population was spread out, with 24.4% under the age of 18, 7.1% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 92.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $45,918, and the median income for a family was $54,581. Males had a median income of $41,504 versus $29,972 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,437. About 5.0% of families and 6.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.0% of those under age 18 and 9.0% of those age 65 or over.
Ridley Township encompasses the following towns and communities, which are all part of the township, and are known by locals as Ridley, as they share the same taxes, school district, library, police department located in Folsom. Many of these communities, however, all own their own fire department, though they occasionally service each other with a serious fire, or other major event.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ridley township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 30, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>