|Bishop of St David's (1505–1508)
Bishop of Chichester (1508–1536)
|File:Chichester Cathedral 05 brighter.JPG
Monument in Chichester Cathedral
|Diocese||Diocese of Chichester|
|Ordination||5 March 1501|
Rolleston on Dove, Staffordshire, England
Sherborne was Archdeacon of Huntingdon (1494–1496), Archdeacon of Buckingham and of Taunton (1496–1505) and Dean of St Paul's (1499–1505). Exceptionally, he held ecclesiastical posts prior to ordination: he was made a deacon in 1499 and ordained a priest on 5 March 1501. From 1505 to 1508 he was bishop of St David's.
Sherborne was a patron of the artist Lambert Barnard, commissioning several series of paintings from him. He founded the Free Grammar School in Rolleston, around 1520, which continued to 1909.
- Sherborn, Shirbirn, Sherburne, Sherburn, Sherbourne.
- Bishop Sherborne's own writings quoted in Francis W. Steer, Robert Sherburne Bishop of Chichester: Some Aspects of his Life Reconsidered, Chichester Papers No. 16 (Chichester City Council, 1960), p.2
- St Mary's Church, Rolleston-on-Dove
- Christopher Harper-Bill (January 2011) . "Sherborn, Robert (c.1454–1536)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 5 June 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Deans of St Paul's | British History Online
- Bishops of St. Davids
- Croft-Murray, Edward, ‘Lambert Barnard: An English Early Renaissance Painter', Archaeological Journal, Vol. 113, (1957), pp. 108-125
- Coke, Karen, Lambert Barnard, Chichester’s Tudor Painter (Chichester, Dean and Chapter of Chichester Cathedral, 2014)
- Roehampton - Romsey | British History Online
- The Roots of Education
- Concise Dictionary of National Biography
- Steer, Francis W., Robert Sherburne Bishop of Chichester: Some Aspects of his Life Reconsidered, Chichester Papers No. 16 (Chichester City Council, 1960)