Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs
The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs (SCSC) is the organisation that represents the Chiefs of many prominent Scottish Clans and Families. It describes itself as "the definitive and authoritative body for information on the Scottish Clan System".
The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs was founded in 1952 by Diana Hay, 23rd Countess of Erroll, who at the time held the title of Lord High Constable of Scotland. The present Convenor is Malcolm MacGregor, Chief of the Clan MacGregor. The objectives of the SCSC are stated in its constitution:
The Objects of the Council, which is non-political, are to consider matters affecting Scottish Chiefs and the Clans and Names which they represent and to submit their views and interests to HM Government, to Departments of State, the Scottish Government, to Local Authorities, to Press and Public, to Associations connected with Clan and Family in Britain and overseas; also to educate the general public in matters connected with the rights, functions and historical position of Scottish Chiefs, together with the Clans and Names which they represent and to take such steps as may seem expedient to protect the titles, armorial bearings or other insignia of Chiefs from exploitation or misuse in trade or otherwise.
The following chiefs have, by their own request, been removed as members of the Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs:
- Duke of Fife, Chief of Carnegie
- Charles Fergusson, Chief of Fergusson
- Earl Haig, Chief of Haig
- Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, Chief of Lindsay
- David Menzies, Chief of Menzies
- Duke of Atholl, Chief of Murray
- Earl of Gowrie, Chief of Ruthven
- Top page of its website, clanchiefs.org.
- Way, George and Squire, Romily. Collins Scottish Clan and Family Encyclopedia. London: Collins, 1994. ISBN 0-00-470547-5. Page 30.
- "History and Aims of The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs" (HTML). The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. Retrieved 11 March 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Executive Committee of The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs" (HTML). The Standing Council of Scottish Chiefs. Retrieved 11 March 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The Highlander, the Magazine of Scottish heritage; April 2009; 2009 Directory; Published by Angus J. Ray Associates; ISSN 0161-5378, USPS 579200)
|This Scottish clan-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|