Sultan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Sultan bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|3rd Deputy Prime Ministers of the United Arab Emirates|
Serving with Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan (1997-2009)
|President||Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1990-2004)
Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan (2004-09)
|Prime Minister||Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum (1990-2006)
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (2006-09)
|Preceded by||Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Nahyan &
Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum
|Succeeded by||Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan &
Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan
|Born||1955 (age 63–64)
Al Ain, Abu Dhabi, Trucial States
|Nationality||United Arab Emirati|
|Spouse(s)||Shamsa bint Mohammed bin Khalifa Al Nahyan|
- Not to be confused with his grandfather Sultan bin Zayed bin Khalifa Al Nahyan, ruler of Abu Dhabi.
Early life and education
Sheikh Sultan is the 2nd son of Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, founder of UAE and the first president (1971-2004) and also the emir of Abu Dhabi emirate (1966-2004). Sheikh Sultan was born in 1955. He was educated at Millfield School and is a graduate of Sandhurst military academy. His 3/4 sibling Sheikh Khalifa, is the current emir and the president, while his other half-brother Sheikh Mohammed is the current crown prince of Abu Dhabi.
In 1990, Sheikh Sultan was appointed as deputy prime minister, while the prime ministers traditionally are the emir (ruler) of Dubai. From 1997 to 2009 he served with another younger half-brother Sheikh Hamdan as deputy prime minister. In 2009, he was replaced by his half-brother Sheikh Saif and Sheikh Mansour in the post.
Sheikh Sultan is the president's representative, chairman of the media and cultural centre, chairman of the Emirates Heritage Club and chairman of Zayed center for coordination and follow-up, a member of Supreme Petroleum Council, and a member of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.
In August 2002, Sheikh Sultan, as the Chairman of the Zayed Center, promoted a Holocaust denial symposium in Abu Dhabi. The government of the United Arab Emirates closed down the Zayed Center as a result.
|Al Nahyan family|
HH Sheikha Shamsa
HH Sheikha Ayesha
HH Sheikha Amna
HH Sheikha Fatima
|Ancestors of Sultan bin Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan|
- "UAE Succession Update: The Post-Zayed Scenario". Wikileaks. 28 September 2004. Retrieved 16 April 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Anthony, John Duke (30 August 1999). "Succession in Abu Dhabi" (PDF). NCUSAR. Retrieved 11 April 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ADL Backgrounder: The Zayed Center
- "The Supreme Petroleum Council (SPC)". Abu Dhabi National Oil Company. 25 June 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Organisational Structure
- Arab League to participate in Holocaust-denial symposium, The Jerusalem Post, 28 August 2002
- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL).
|This article about a United Arab Emirates politician is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|