Sur La Table
|Headquarters||Seattle, Washington, USA|
Number of locations
|Products||Cookware, bakeware, cutlery, small electrics, cooks tools and housewares.|
Sur La Table, Inc. is a privately held American retail company based in Seattle, Washington, that sells kitchenware products, including cookware, cutlery, cooks' tools, small electrics, tabletop and linens, bakeware, glassware and bar, housewares, food and outdoor. As of June 2015, Sur La Table sells products in over 100 stores in 30 states across the country and the District of Columbia, as well as through their web site and catalogs. Cooking classes are available in 59 stores. The company launched a new website and gift registry program in January 2011. Starting in 2014, Sur La Table has a blog, A Sharp Knife & Salt, that consists of articles, videos and recipes. The blog focuses on food, chefs, restaurants and products. Sur La Table plans to include a kitchen into every new store that they open.
Shirley Collins founded Sur La Table in 1972, opening a single retail location in Seattle's Pike Place Market. In 1995, Collins sold the company.
Sur La Table is currently owned by Investcorp. Corporate headquarters are located in Seattle's Georgetown neighborhood. Jack Schwefel, who was the company's chief executive officer until he was removed by Investcorp in September 2014, advocated an expansion policy of opening new stores in lifestyle centers, malls, and on city streets, "with a mix of upscale national brands and creative local merchants, anchored by an upscale or organic-themed grocery store that encourages frequent trips."
Many of the stores offer cooking classes, which serve the dual purpose of teaching kitchen techniques and promoting the sale of Sur La Table's inventory.
- Sur La Table [surlatable.com surlatable.com] Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved 19 June 2015. Missing or empty
- A Sharp Knife & Salt http://blog.surlatable.com/about/. Retrieved 19 June 2015. Missing or empty
- Oxford French Minidictionary. Oxford University Press. 2002. p. 279. ISBN 0-19-860467-X.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Sale of Sur La Table may be recipe for growth
- Tice, Carol (June 24, 2005). "A wiser Sur La Table picks its outlets selectively". Puget Sound Business Journal.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This Washington-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|