TMC (TV channel)
|Launched||19 November 1954|
|Owned by||TF1 Group (80%), Government of Monaco (20%)|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Audience share||3.4% (2013, Médiamétrie)|
|Slogan||Le meilleur pour vous !|
|Formerly called||Télé Monte-Carlo (1954–1993)
Monte Carlo TMC (1993–2001)
TMC Monte-Carlo (2004–2009)
|Bis Télévisions||Channel 10|
|MC Cable||Channel 2|
|Freebox TV||Channel 10|
|Orange SA||Channel 10|
Télé Monte Carlo or TMC Monte Carlo, traditionally known as TMC (pronounced: [te ɛm se]) is a Franco-Monégasque general entertainment television channel, owned by the French media holding company TF1 Group.
The oldest private channel in Europe, TMC dates back to 1954, inaugurated by Rainier III, Prince of Monaco. Like several other European television channels, its first major broadcast was one relating to the country's royal family, in this case the marriage of Prince Rainier III and Grace Kelly. As a result of an agreement between Prince Rainier III and the French President François Mitterrand, TMC was able to be broadcast as far west as Montpellier, France, tripling its coverage (three million potential viewers).
In 1987 the channel was carried for a few hours on M6, a French television service — which made it available to much more of France — and the channel was eventually carried by CanalSat and became available in all of France and the Indian Ocean area. The channel also won a spot on the French language digital terrestrial television scheme, demonstrating its wide appeal.
Until 1995 TMC was a member of the European Broadcasting Union as a part of Radio Monte-Carlo (RMC). Currently the Monégasque membership is held by Groupement de Radiodiffuseurs Monégasques (GRMC), a joint organisation by Monte-Carlo Radiodiffusion (RMC), Radio Monte Carlo (RMC) and Télé Monte-Carlo (TMC).
Télé Monte Carlo shows a variety of programs, including many imports. It also produces many original programming that include news magazines, cooking shows, and talkshows, which include:
- SUD: A cultural programme focusing on Monaco and the South of France, aired every Sunday.
- Monacoscope: A programme presenting the latest news of politics, sports and the monarchy of Monaco.
- Notre région: A news magazine focussing on political, cultural and economic news of the French region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Télé Monte Carlo is also responsible for Monaco's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest.
TV Shows currently airing
- Downton Abbey
- Saving Grace
- Les filles d'à côté
- Undercover Boss
- The A-Team
- Law & Order
- Alarm für Cobra 11 - Die Autobahnpolizei
- Army Wives
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
- Eleventh Hour
- Agatha Christie's Poirot
- The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
- The Return of Sherlock Holmes
- Agatha Christie's Marple
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
- Une femme d'honneur
- "Doc Presse: Groupe TF1" (in French). L’École supérieure de journalisme de Lille. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- www.tmc.tv – official website (French)