|Owned by||Cool Music Network, LLC|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Slogan||Music Videos on TV - All Day, Everyday.|
|Broadcast area||Select markets|
TheCoolTV is an American digital broadcast television network that is owned by Cool Music Network, LLC of Lawrence, Kansas. Launched in March 2009, the network's current program schedule consists of an all-music video lineup that can be customized to meet an affiliate's preference; it also broadcasts the minimum three hours of children's programming for their affiliates intended to meet E/I requirements set by the Federal Communications Commission.
Since the fall of 2011, the network's carriage has severely fallen from a peak of around 80 affiliates to only three as of December 2015.
- Fresno, California - KGOF-LP - 33.7
- West Palm Beach, Florida - WBWP-LD - 57.3
- Wichita, Kansas - KCTU-LD - 43.6
TheCoolTV's output consists of subchannels of digital broadcast television stations and cable television providers in select U.S. media markets, the first of which was now-former affiliate WTMJ-TV, which added TheCoolTV to subchannel 4.3 on July 8, 2009. A large portion of its stations were owned and/or operated by Journal Communications, Sinclair Broadcast Group, and LIN TV The affiliate roster grew with help from an affiliation deal with three stations operated by McGraw-Hill. On April 5, 2011, The CoolTV signed an affiliate agreement with Newport Television for carriage on 10 of its 22 stations.
Stations affiliated with TheCoolTV have the nominal ability to cross-promote the network in association with a sister or affiliated radio station. However, the only affiliate that actually utilized this component was WTMJ-TV, which marketed TheCoolTV as a complement to its sister radio station, adult hits-formatted WLWK-FM (promoted as "TheCoolTV, hosted by 94-5 Lake FM"), with the other stations usually being part of ownership groups without any radio stations.
In September 2011, Journal announced that it would file a lawsuit against Cool Music Network for non-payment of broadcast services. Journal replaced The CoolTV with the Live Well Network in Milwaukee, and Me-TV in Green Bay and Lansing on October 1, 2011.
On the afternoon of August 31, 2012, TheCoolTV was dropped from all 32 Sinclair Broadcast Group stations that carried the channel, with no replacement. No reason was given, other than a very brief message from Jim Wright, the Regional Engineering Manager for Sinclair, who said: "We are no longer carrying CoolTV on all Sinclair stations as of this afternoon."
The agreement with Newport Television to carry TheCoolTV was terminated upon Newport being purchased by Nexstar Broadcasting Group, which carries few subchannels on its stations (stations that do carry digital subchannels mainly carry an affiliation with a major broadcast network or relay a co-owned/managed television station in the same market that does not have signal coverage in parity with the parent station), and all former Newport stations had discontinued carrying TheCoolTV by April 2013. All agreements with McGraw-Hill were also terminated upon the E. W. Scripps Company's purchase of the McGraw-Hill stations in early 2012.
On March 1, 2013, two LIN stations in Albuquerque and Austin dropped the network. The remainder of LIN Media's stations dropped the network on July 15, 2013, with some replacing it with Bounce TV or local radar loops, or leaving them dark altogether.
- "Lawrence-based TheCoolTV might revive music video", from kansascity.com, 11/28/2011
- "RabbitEars.Info". rabbitears.info.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Cool Music Network (THECOOLTV) and Sinclair Television Group Announce Partnership". 2010. Archived from the original on April 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-04. Unknown parameter
|deadurl=ignored (help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Sinclair Multicasting Music Channel". 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-04.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "LIN Stations Get CoolTV", from broadcastingcable.com, 9/28/2010
- "Cool TV Inks Affiliate Deal With McGraw-Hill", from tvnewscheck.com, 1/18/2011
- "THECOOLTV Gains More Viewers Via Affiliate with Newport TV". constantcontact.com.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Staff report (2 September 2011). "Channel 4 owner sues 'The Cool TV' for $257k". The Business Journal, Milwaukee. Retrieved 13 September 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Staff report (12 September 2011). "Channel 4 dropping 'The Cool TV' for lifestyle network". The Business Journal, Milwaukee. Retrieved 13 September 2011. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Cuprisin, Tim (13 September 2011). "Get ready for another round of Charlie Sheen". OnMilwaukee.com. Retrieved 13 September 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Radio Discussions". Radio Discussions.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Satellite Guys: "TheCoolTV pulled from Sinclair stations", August 31, 2012.
- "Galaxy 19 at 97.0°W - LyngSat". lyngsat.com.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- No URL found. Please specify a URL here or add one to Wikidata.