United Kingdom Independent Broadcasting
|Type||Affiliation of broadcasters|
|ITV, Channel 4, S4C|
United Kingdom Independent Broadcasting (or UKIB) is an affiliation of three British independent television production companies and broadcasters. Its predecessor's (Independent Television Companies' Association - ITCA) primary function was to represent independent British television interests as a member of the European Broadcasting Union. The members of UKIB are The ITV Network Centre, the 17 ITV Companies, Channel 4 and S4C.
UKIB was formed in 1981 when the Association of Independent Radio Contractors (AIRC) was admitted as an active member of the EBU. Then it replaced IBA/ITCA as the second British EBU member. ITCA had been admitted as a full active EBU member, together with the Independent Television Authority (ITA) in 1959. AIRC became Commercial Radio Companies' Association (CRCA) in 1996. CRCA cancelled its EBU membership by the end of 2002.
|Service Name||Broadcast Area||Licence Holder||Broadcast Since||Parent Company||EBU Abbreviation|
|United Kingdom, Channel Islands & Isle of Man||ITV Network||1955||ITV plc
STV Group plc
UTV Media plc
|ITV (Channel 3) Companies|
|ITV Anglia||East of England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1959||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/ANG|
|ITV Border||England-Scotland border||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1961||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/BTV|
|ITV Central||Midlands [Note 1]||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/CEN|
|ITV Channel Television||Channel Islands||Channel Television Limited||1962||ITV plc||CHA|
|ITV Granada||North West England [Note 2] and Isle of Man [Note 3]||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/GRA|
|ITV London (Carlton)||London Weekday||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1955||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/LDN|
|ITV London (LWT)||London Weekend||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1955||ITV plc|
|ITV Meridian||South and South East England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/MER|
|ITV Tyne Tees||North East England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1959||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/TTT|
|ITV Wales||Wales||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WEST|
|ITV West||West of England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1958||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WALES|
|ITV Westcountry||South West England||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1961||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/WES|
|ITV Yorkshire||Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and North Norfolk||ITV Broadcasting Limited||1956||ITV plc||UKIB/ITV/YTV|
|STV Central||Central Scotland||STV Central Limited||1957||STV Group plc||UKIB/STV|
|STV North||Northern Scotland||STV North Limited||1961||STV Group plc||UKIB/STVN|
|UTV||Northern Ireland||UTV Limited||1959||UTV Media plc||UTV|
|Channel 4||England, Scotland and Northern Ireland||Channel 4||1982||Channel Four Television Corporation||UKIB/C4|
|S4C||Wales||Sianel 4 Cymru/Channel 4 Wales||1982||S4C Authority||UKIB/S4C|
Besides the main ITV, Channel 4 and S4C channels there are several digital only channels which are ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 and CITV owned by ITV plc and E4, More4 and Film4 operated by Channel 4. These channels are also members of UKIB and as such are also part of the European Broadcasting Union.
Eurovision Song Contest
The United Kingdom's entries in the Eurovision Song Contest have been entered by the BBC each time, However the United Kingdom's, Junior Eurovision Song Contest entries were broadcast and entered by ITV in 2003, 2004 and 2005 but did not enter the 2006 contest because of low ratings. S4C were speculating in entering the 2008 contest with a Welsh language entry but, in the end, S4C chose not to enter.
- "Channel 3 (ITV)". Ofcom. Retrieved 27 September 2007.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- First Broadcast in that region and not since the first franchises were held
- Now Available in Wales but is designated for the rest of the United Kingdom
- Kuipers, Michael (2008-04-20). "Junior Eurovision 2008: United Kingdom to return to JESC?". ESCToday. Retrieved 2009-06-09.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Up to 1968, the service for the Midlands region was provided by ATV for Monday to Friday and by ABC Television for weekends.
- Up to 1968, the service for a single Northern area consisting of both the current North West region and most of the current Yorkshire region was provided by Granada Television for Monday to Friday and by ABC Television for weekends.
- Coverage was transferred from ITV Border and Tyne Tees to ITV Granada following DSO in the Isle of Man in July 2009.