Weobley (UK Parliament constituency)
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Former Borough constituency
for the House of Commons
|Number of members||Two|
Weobley was a parliamentary borough in Herefordshire, which elected two Members of Parliament (MPs) to the House of Commons in 1295 and from 1628 until 1832, when the borough was abolished by the Great Reform Act.
Members of Parliament
|Parliament||First Member||Second Member|
|Weobley re-enfranchised in 1628|
|1628||William Walter||William Tomkins|
|1629–1640||No Parliaments summoned|
|1640 (Apr)||William Tomkins||Thomas Tomkins|
|1640 (Nov)||Arthur Jones Lord Ranelagh||Thomas Tomkins|
|1645||Robert Andrews||William Crowther|
|1653||Weobley not represented in Barebones parliament|
|1654,1656||Weobley not represented in 1st and 2nd Protectorate parliaments|
|1659||Herbert Perrott||Robert Andrews|
- Thynne was also elected for Weymouth and Melcombe Regis, which he chose to represent, and never sat for Weobley
- On petition, Foley was declared not to have been duly elected.
- Expelled from the House of Commons, 14 March 1732, "for a notorious Breach of Trust reposed in him, as a Commissioner and Trustee for the Sale of the Forfeited Estates, referring to the Derwentwater estates.
- Cornewall petitioned against Birch's election (in a dispute over the franchise), but Birch died before the dispute was resolved; no by-election could be called until it was determined whether Birch had been duly elected. His election was eventually annulled, and Cornewall declared to have been elected.
- On petition, Powell was declared not to have been duly elected
- Later Rear-Admiral
- Created The Lord Irnham (in the Peerage of Ireland), December 1768
- Styled Viscount Weymouth from August 1788 (when his father was created Marquess of Bath). He was re-elected in 1790, but had also been elected for Bath, which he chose to represent, and did not sit again for Weobley
- Robert Beatson, A Chronological Register of Both Houses of Parliament (London: Longman, Hurst, Res & Orme, 1807) 
- J Holladay Philbin, Parliamentary Representation 1832 - England and Wales (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1965)
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "W" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]