58th Army (Russia)
|58th Army (I Formation) (Nov. 1941 – Aug. 1942)
58th Army (II Formation) (Aug. 1942 – Oct. 1943)
58th Army (III Formation) (1995–present)
|Active||1941 – current|
|Country||Soviet Union, Russia|
|Branch||Red Army, Russian Ground Forces|
|Size||several corps or divisions|
|Part of||North Caucasus Military District|
|Engagements||1940-1944 Chechnya insurgency, Second Chechen War, Russo-Georgian War|
|General-Colonel Anatoliy Nogovitsin|
World War II
It was first formed in the Siberian Military District in November 1941, including the 362nd, 364th, 368th, 370th, 380th, and 384th Rifle Divisions and the 77th Cavalry Division and moved to the Arkhangelsk Military District, but then the Army was redesignated the 3rd Tank Army in May 1942. It was reestablished within the Kalinin Front in June 1942, and in July included the 16th and 27th Guards Rifle Divisions, the 215th and 375th Rifle Divisions, the 35th and 81st Tank Brigades, and other support units.
It was reformed in the Transcaucasian Front from the 24th Army on 28 August 1942, under General Khomenko of the NKVD. Much of its senior cadre also came from the NKVD, and among its missions was to keep order in the Caucasus, particularly in the Groznyi and Makhachkala regions. This was because of a Chechen uprising that had gone on since 1941 (see 1940-1944 Chechnya insurgency). 58th Army later joined the North Caucasus Front. On 1 November 1942 it consisted of the 271st and 416th Rifle Division, and the Makhachkala Division of the NKVD. Prior to the North Caucasus Front putting its main effort into the Kerch-Eltigen Operation (November 1943) the Army HQ was reorganised as Headquarters Volga Military District in October 1943.
Second Chechen War
The headquarters was reformed in 1995 in the North Caucasus Military District from the 42nd Army Corps at Vladikavkaz.
During the Second Chechen War, the Army was commanded by General Vladimir Shamanov.
2008 Ossetia War
On 3 August 2008, five battalions of the Russian 58th Army commanded by Colonel-General Anatoliy Nogovitsin were moved to the vicinity of Roki Tunnel that links Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia with Russia's North Ossetia. On 8 August 2008  the 58th Army crossed the border into Georgia and engaged in combat against Georgian forces, most notably in the city of Tskhinvali. Its then-commander, General Anatoly Khrulyov was wounded in action.
2014 Ukraine War
Order of Battle, 2003
- 18th Motor Rifle Division – Hankala and Kalinovskaya in the Chechnya
- 19th Motor Rifle Division – Vladikavkaz
- 205th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade – Budenovsk
- 136th Guards Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade – Buynaksk, Dagestan (Cyrillic: гвардейская мотострелковая Уманско-Берлинская дивизия)
- 135th Separate Motorized Rifle Regiment – Prochladny, Kabardino-Balkaria
- 291st Separate Artillery Brigade – Maikop – (equipped with 2A65)
- 943rd Multiple Rocket Launcher Regiment – Krasnooktabrsky (Uragan 220mm MRL)
- 1128th Anti-Tank Regiment – Maikop
- 67th Separate Anti-Aircraft Rocket Brigade (SAM) – Volgograd area (SA-11 'Buk' SAM)
- 487th Separate Helicopter Regiment (Mi-8/Mi-24) – Budenovsk
- 11th Separate Engineer Regiment – Kavkazskay
- 234th Separate Signals Regiment – Vladikavkaz
- 22nd Separate Regiment of Electronic Warfare- Vladikavkaz
- Combat Composition of the Soviet Army, 1 July 1942
- David Glantz, personal correspondence, December 2007
- BSSA via
- David Glantz, Companion to Colossus Reborn, 2005, p.59
- p.109, Murphy
- Talking Through Gritted Teeth. BBC Monitoring, 6 August 2008
- Torrey Clark and Greg Walters, Putin Says `War Has Started,' Georgia Claims Invasion (Update4), Bloomberg.com, 8 August 2008
- Finn, Peter (9 August 2008). "Russian Air, Ground Forces Strike Georgia". The Washington Post.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Russian tanks enter South Ossetia". BBC News. 8 August 2008.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
-  Oleg Shchedrov reporting for Reuters, Russian troops close to S. Ossetian capital, Moscow, 8 13 August:38:12 GMT (Reuters)
-  Минобороны РФ заявило о расстреле российских миротворцев, Lenta.ru, Rambler Media Group, Saturday, 09.08.2008, 03:45:33
- Solovyov, Dmitry (9 August 2008). "Russian general wounded in Georgia's rebel region". Reuters. Retrieved 9 August 2008.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Statement by the Delegation of Ukraine at the 774-th FSC plenary meeting " OSCE, 12/10/2014.
- Russian Ground Forces in the North Caucasus Military District v.1.0 1 December 2003, Colin Robinson (editing and some text), Vadim Teplitskiy(unit list), and Craig Crofoot (history text), via http://www.orbat.com
- Murphy, Paul J., The Wolves of Islam: Russia and the Faces of Chechen Terror, Brassey's, 2004