Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|Former names||Achilles Rink (1975-2003)|
|Capacity||2,225 (hockey, broomball)|
|Surface||201x86 ft (hockey, broomball)|
|Broke ground||November 2, 1974|
|Union College Dutchmen
(men's and women's hockey and broomball)
The Frank L. Messa Rink at Achilles Center is a 2,225-seat multi-purpose arena in Schenectady, New York. It is home to the Union College Dutchmen ice hockey and Dutchwomen ice hockey teams, members of the ECAC Hockey League. In 2004, it was renovated and renamed Frank L. Messa Rink at Achilles Center. It is named for Frank L. Messa, class of 1973, who is a member of the board of trustees and co-chair of one of the school's main fundraising programs. The building was originally named for the Rev. H. Laurence Achilles, Sr., who was the original benefactor of the arena.
- On March 12th, 2010, Quinnipiac University beat Union College 3-2 in the longest game in NCAA history. Greg Holt scored at 10:22 of the 5th overtime. The game took 150:22 to decide the winner. The box score can be found at http://collegehockeystats.net/0910/boxes/mquiuni1.m12.
- It has also played host to the 2nd longest NCAA men's ice hockey game in NCAA history. It occurred on March 4, 2006, in Game 2 of the ECAC Tournament First Round best of three series between Yale University and Union. Yale won 3-2 at 1:35 into the 5th overtime. The game, overall, took 141:35 to decide the winner.
- When the rink was first constructed, College officials planned to convert the rink into 4 tennis courts during the spring and fall seasons.
- There used to be four sheets of curling ice underneath the hockey rink as H. Laurence Achilles was an avid supporter of the sport of curling. The curling rink has since been used for other purposes.
- "Quinnipiac at Union - Friday, March 12, 2010". collegehockeystats.net. Retrieved 2010-03-13.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Division I Men's Hockey's Longest Games". USCHO.com. Retrieved 2010-03-13.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Yale at Union - Saturday, March 4, 2006". collegehockeystats.net. Retrieved 2010-01-09.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Division I Men's Hockey's Longest Games". USCHO.com. Retrieved 2010-01-09.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Union College Concordiensis 1973
|40px||This article about a sports venue in New York is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|