American Samoa Senate
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The American Samoa Senate is the upper house of the American Samoa Fono. The Senate, like the lower House of Representatives, is a nonpartisan body. It is composed of 18 senators, serving a four-year term.
List of Senators
- Updated May 2013
- Galea'i M. Tu'ufuli, Manu'a District 1
- NuanuaolefeagaigaT. Saoluaga, Manu'a District 1, Vice President
- Laolagi Savali Vaeao, Manu'a District 2, President Pro Tempore
- Saole M.F. Saole, Saole District
- Gaoteote Palaie Tofau, Vaifanua District, President of the Senate
- Sua V. Mata'utia, Sua District
- Tialavea Misiualapa, Sua District
- Faumuina Tagisiaali'i, Maoputasi District
- Mauga T. Asuega, Maoputasi District
- Afoa Moega Lutu, Maoputasi District
- Alo Fa'auuga, Itu'au District
- Soliai Tuipine Fuimaono,Itu'au District
- Magalei Logovi'i, Tualauta District
- Letuligasenoa Soli, Tualauta District
- Leatualevao S. Asifoa, Leasina/Aitulagi District
- Tuiasina Siolosega Esera, Tualatai District
- Avegalio P. Aigamaua, Fofo District
- Faletagoa'i Iati Tuiolemotu Alataua District
- Utu Abe Malae (R)
- Tulifua Lam Yuen
- Liufau Sonoma – deceased August 4, 2009
- Uli Solomona – deceased July 22, 1980, served from 1973 to 1976, the revered High Chief from Aua village, one of American Samoa's most highly decorated heroes, a World War II, Korean, and Vietnam veteran and recipient of the Nation's third-highest valor award the Silver Star, including awards of the Soldier's Medal, the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star with "V" device denoted by 2 bronze oak leaf clusters.
- Gaoteote Tofau, President of American Samoa Senate
- A.U. Fuimaono
- Seui Laau
- Togiola Tulafono – (D) former Governor, in office from 2003-2013
The American Samoa Senate is the only legislature of its kind in the entire United States, both state and territorial, that is not directly elected by the voting population. Instead, the Senate's voting franchise is strictly limited to the various chiefs of the islands.
2004 Legislative elections
|Senators elected by local chiefs||18|
|Total (turnout %)||18|
- The Legislature of the Territory of American Samoa, The 16th Legislature 4th Regular Session, Senate Concurrent Resolution (S.C.R.) No. 91, July 25, 1980.
- Military Times Hall of Valor http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=58155
- Uli, Teddy (Founder & President of Polynesian Legal Social Services Corp., Uli Solomona and Manatua Tilo's youngest son.)
- Modzelewski, Joe. "Uli's Eulogy." The Miami News 27 August 1980: 1C. Print.
- Sagapolutele, Fili. "Senator Seui passes away". Samoa News. 2012-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-28.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|25px||This legislature-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This American Samoa-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|