26 August 1950|
Moscow, Soviet Union
|Institutions||Moscow State Institute of International Relations|
|Alma mater||Moscow State Institute of International Relations|
|Known for||Diplomat, IR Scholar,
Rector of Moscow State Institute of International Relations
The rector of Moscow's State Institute of International Relations, Torkunov is a member of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Collegium of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation.
He serves as chairman of the United Nations Association of Russia.
Anatoly Torkunov was born on 26 August 1950 in the family of ZiL factory workers in Moscow. His father, Vasily Torkunov, was one of the chief organizers of Soviet automobile industry.
After graduation from MGIMO-University (the Moscow State Institute of International Relations) in 1972, Anatoly Torkunov began teaching at the institute, while carrying out post-graduate research related to Africa and Asia. He was awarded the degree of candidate of sciences in history for a PhD thesis on the installation and consolidation of bureaucratic military rule in South Korea in 1977. His administrative career included working on positions of the rector's assistant, dean of the international office, vice-rector for international cooperation.
Upon returning to the Soviet Union he resumed his work at the Institute, where he was elected dean of the School of international relations (1986), then promoted to the position of the first vice-rector (1989). In 1991 he was granted the title of professor. In 1992 Anatoly Torkunov was elected as rector of the Institute (re-elected in 1997, 2002, 2007 and 2012). In 1993 he was awarded the rank of Ambassador, in 1995 he received the degree of doctor of political sciences (thesis: "Korean Peninsula Security Challenges: International and intra-Korean aspects").
In 1999 A. Torkunov was elected president of the Russian International Studies Association.
Anatoly Torkunov is Rector of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations, president of the United Nations Association of Russia, Chair of the Board of Channel One Russia, Co-president of the Russian History Society, president of the scientific council of the Russian-Polish centre for dialogue and cooperation, member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian International Affairs Council, honorary member of the Russian Academy of Arts. A. Torkunov is co-chair of the Russian-Polish Group for Difficult Issues together with Poland's former Foreign Minister Adam Daniel Rotfeld and the Commission on difficult matters of Russian-Japanese relations. He is also foreign member of Polish Academy of Sciences, honorary citizen of Seoul, honorary doctor of a number of universities.
Honours and awards
- Order of Alexander Nevsky (16 July 2015) - for contribution to the foreign policy of the Russian Federation, merits in scientific and pedagogical activity, training of highly qualified specialists and many years of diligent work
- Order of Merit for the Fatherland
- 3rd class (14 May 2010) - for outstanding contribution to the implementation of the foreign policy of the Russian Federation and many years of diligent work, achievements in research and the teaching and training of highly qualified personnel
- 4th class (26 August 2000) - for outstanding contribution to the training of highly qualified specialists and many years of diligent work
- Order of Honour (21 October 2004) - for the great achievements in research and training of highly qualified specialists
- Order of Friendship (6 October 1997) - for outstanding contributions to strengthening the economy, social development and in connection with the 850 year anniversary of the foundation of Moscow
- Order of Honor (Armenia, 23 October 2015)
- National Order of the Legion of Honour (France, 8 September 2011)
- Order of Merit of the Republic of Poland (Commander with star, Poland, 4 October 2010)
- Order of Friendship, 2nd class (Kazakhstan, 2007)
- Officer of the Order of Academic Palms (France, 2005)
- Order of Merit of the Republic of Hungary
- Order of St. Sergius, 2nd and 3rd classes (Russian Orthodox Church)
- Order of Holy Prince Daniel of Moscow, 3rd class (Russian Orthodox Church)
- Anatoly Torkunov's personal website
- Polish-Russian Group For Difficult Issues co-Chaired by Rector of the Moscow State Institute of International Relations - Anatoly V. Torkunov and former Poland's Foreign Minister Adam Daniel Rotfeld - 12 April 2011 and 23 February 2011 and 5 April 2010 and 29 January 2009 and 17 June 2008