Robert Francis Boucher, CBE, FREng (25 April 1940 – 25 March 2009), usually known as Bob Boucher, was a British mechanical engineer, and Vice-Chancellor of both UMIST (1995–2001) the University of Sheffield (2001–2007).
Boucher was born in Wembley on 25 April 1940 and was educated at St Ignatius' College, Stamford Hill, Borough Polytechnic, London, and gained a PhD from the University of Nottingham in Mechanical Engineering in 1966. After postdoctoral work at the same university he moved to Queen's University Belfast as a researcher then a lecturer in mechanical engineering.
In 1970 he joined Sheffield University as a lecturer, rising to Head of the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1987 and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research at Sheffield. In 1995 he took up the position of Vice-Chancellor and Principal of UMIST. In 2001 he returned to Sheffield as Vice-Chancellor until his retirement in 2007. Boucher was Chairman of the International Sector Group of Universities UK and Treasurer of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- BOUCHER, Prof, Robert Francis (Bob), Debrett's People of Today, 2007.
- "Sheffield Telegraph, Death of academic visionary". Retrieved 2009-03-27.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The Times, Obituary: Professor Robert Boucher: engineer and university vice-chancellor". London. 13 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-27.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Times Higher Education, Obituary: Bob Boucher, 1940-2009". Retrieved 2009-04-27.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- University of Manchester yourmanchesteronline Obituary - Bob Boucher
- BBC New Years Honours
|Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sheffield
|Vice-Chancellor of UMIST
|This biographical article about an academic administrator is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|