|Boris Alexandrovich Fogel|
January 18, 1872|
Buynaksk, Russian Empire
|Education||Repin Institute of Arts|
|Known for||Painting, Teaching|
Boris Alexandrovich Fogel (Russian: Борис Александрович Фогель) (January 18, 1872, Buynaksk, Russian Empire – 1961, Leningrad) was a Russian and Soviet painter and art educator, who lived and worked in Leningrad, a member of the Leningrad Union of the Soviet Artists, professor of painting of the Repin Institute of Arts, who played an important role in the formation of the Leningrad school of painting,
Boris Alexandrovich Fogelv was born January 18, 1872, in Buynaksk on North Caucasus. His father was a career military man, Colonel, had spent almost all his life in the campaigns for the conquest of the Caucasus. His mother Olga Flovitskaya was a close relative of the artist Konstantin Flavitsky.
In 1880, after the death of his father, Boris moved with his mother in Tbilisi. While studying in high school, he engaged in drawing at the private studio of Zakharov. In 1891, Boris Fogel comes to Moscow, where he entered the medical faculty of Moscow University. At the same time he continued studies in painting, using advices of known artists Vasily Polenov, Vladimir Makovsky, Konstantin Korovin, and Sergei Korovin. Then about a year engaged in a private studio of Leonid Pasternak.
In 1896 Boris Fogel lived and studied in Paris. After returning to Saint Petersburg, Fogel joined the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts, where he studied with Repin and Kovalevsky. In 1902 he graduated from Academy of Arts as an artist of painting, his graduate work named «An Evening». Since 1934 and until his death Boris Fogel taught at the Repin Institute of Arts. He was a member of the Leningrad Union of Artists and participated in exhibitions of the leningrad artists.
- Nikolai Baskakov
- Evgenia Baykova
- Irina Baldina
- Vladimir Chekalov
- Nadezhda Shteinmiller
- Nina Veselova
- Abram Grushko
- Maria Rudnitskaya
- Alexei Eriomin
- Igor Veselkin
- Leonid Kabachek
- Lev Orekhov
- Maya Kopitseva
- Boris Korneev
- Alexander Koroviakov
- Marina Kozlovskaya
- Elena Kostenko
- Sergei Lastochkin
- Anatoli Levitin
- Andrei Mylnikov
- Mikhail Trufanov
- Ruben Zakharian
- and a lot of others.
- Leningrad School of Painting
- List of 20th-century Russian painters
- List of painters of Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Saint Petersburg Union of Artists
- Центральный Государственный Архив литературы и искусства. СПб. Ф.78. Оп.3. Д.67. Л.16.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.356-360, 362, 367, 368, 371—373, 389, 392.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.357—360, 362, 364—366, 368, 371—373, 382, 384, 387, 398.
- Центральный Государственный Архив литературы и искусства. СПб. Ф.78. Оп.3. Д.67.
- Выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1951 года. Каталог. — Л: Лениздат, 1951. — с.21.
- Весенняя выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1953 года. Каталог. — Л: ЛССХ, 1953. — с.8.
- 1917 — 1957. Выставка произведений ленинградских художников. Каталог. — Л: Ленинградский художник, 1958. — с.33.
- Осенняя выставка произведений ленинградских художников 1958 года. Каталог. — Л: Художник РСФСР, 1959. — с.28.
- Sergei V. Ivanov. Unknown Socialist Realism. The Leningrad School. Saint Petersburg, NP-Print Edition, 2007. P.19, 358, 381, 386, 397, 442. ISBN 5-901724-21-6, ISBN 978-5-901724-21-7.