The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2015)
|Mayor of Akron, Ohio|
January 1, 2016
|Preceded by||Jeff Fusco|
Akron, Ohio, U.S.
|Alma mater||Kent State University
University of Akron
Early Life and Education
Shortly after earning his BA in Economics from Kent State University, Horrigan returned to school to earn an additional degree in Education from the University of Akron. This combination led to his position teaching social studies at his alma mater of St.Vincent-St.Mary High School from 1996 to 1998. In 1999, Horrigan left his position with the school to successfully run for Akron City Council. In his time with the Council, he chaired the Public Utilities Committee.
Clerk of Courts
In 2007, the Democratic Party of Summit County selected Dan as the Clerk of Summit County’s Common Pleas Courts, where he oversaw an office of 87 public employees. In his time in the office, through which he would eventually be elected President of the Ohio Clerk of Courts Association in December 2012, his primary focuses modernization and efficiency.
Akron Mayoral Election
Following an extremely tumultuous period in the Akron Mayor's office, Horrigan announced his candidacy for Mayor on June 9, 2015. His announcement touted his unique stature as the only candidate with "the necessary strong leadership skills to continue to develop this City's economic base, to bring and work together with all of the City's partners and in conjunction with Akron City Council, move this City forward."  In addition to economic revival, his campaign focused on a number of local issues such as finding affordable solutions to the city's sewage system issues, union contracts, downtown development, and increased citizen engagement. Following his victory on November 3, 2015, Horrigan became Akron's first newly elected Mayor in 28 years.
- "Dan Horrigan preparing to take over as Akron's first newly elected mayor in 28 years". Akron Beacon Journal.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Dan M. Horrigan Biography". Summit County Clerk of Courts.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Akron Roundtable, Dan Horrigan, City of Akron Mayor". Akron Kiwanis.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Biography". Dan Horrigan for Mayor.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "New Akron Mayor admits inappropriate behavior". USA Today.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Summit County Clerk of Courts Dan Horrigan running for Akron mayor". Cleveland Plain Dealer.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Mayor of Akron, Ohio